WolfAngelus's avatar

• Kelowna, BC, Canada
  • Joined Nov 14, 2015

Gintama: Porori-hen

Jan 14, 2018

A return to the perfect, random, comedy filled Gintama that I loved so much over the first 251 eps. There are lots of parodies and craziness, and if compared to the other seasons, it matches the 1st one the best in terms of what you get. After the terrible previous season that was one of the worst Anime I had ever watched, and a complete 180 of what made Gintama successful, I am very happy to say that they fixed their mistake and have once again delivered the perfect content that we all loved and made it so successful.

There are 4-ish arcs and a partial episode. All of them have very absurd themes, possibly more so than any in the past to the point that you would question the sanity of the writers, but this is what makes it so enjoyably entertaining. Without giving much away, there is a theme for every viewer and a hint at which characters you may expect: theres some action, story, character, music, and tons of comedy. At the end of it all, there is a preview with a claim of the last long Gintama arc coming (although this isn't the first time, or the second, or the third, that they say it's the last season)

A lot of the favorite characters get at least a bit of screen time which is neat. Considering there are only 13 eps for this season, each of those favorites got some screen time in a way that suits them. None of them got a ton of time like we are used which is unfortunate, but that's just a flaw with getting to know them over 300 eps, and 13 more eps just pales in comparison.

Overall it is an epic season. It's a true return to the older days for the all those fans who loved the episode (or short arc) based, nonsense themed comedy that just can't be found in any other Anime. Most of the scenarios defy any logic, and that is perfectly alright. No real form of story beyond the mini arcs spanning 2-4 eps makes it easy to enjoy these episodes and simply relax without focusing too hard in order to follow what's happening.

Review for Eps 1-201 ; Scored 10