Uriel's avatar

• Warsaw, Poland
  • Joined Feb 14, 2004

Genocidal Organ

Jun 9, 2021

I usually don't write reviews, so this will also not be your typical review.

This movie is a faithful adaptation of Satoshi Itō's book of the same title. It's a fantastic book and I highly recommend reading it before watching. The source material was copied almost precisely 1:1, similarly to how Watchmen was adapted for the screen. It is my conviction that books should be translated not copied when adapted for a different medium. Otherwise, something gets lost as is the case here. I scored the movie as a 1:1 adaptation. ANd as such, for someone who read the book, it's a resounding 10. Eye of the beholder, though. If I were to judge it through the eyes of someone unfamiliar with the source material then I wouldn't go higher than 7.5.

It's also a testament to Satoshi's writing that some scenes were eerie identical to what I have imagined when reading. From room layouts to furniture and mood. It makes for a visceral watching experience and it's why I scored the movie a perfect 10.

I have seen other reviewers complaining about gore. I will begin by saying that this is how hits with high caliber and velocity bullets will do with the body. There isn't much exaggeration here and for a good reason. The book was brutal in describing gory details in order to paint the canvas on which the desensitization of the protagonist is starkly clear. It's all to prove a point, trust me.

All in all, it was a delightful surprise to discover this movie was done. Fun fact: the writer was a friend of no other than Hideo Kojima himself, who was a fan of his prose. And the influence shows a lot in his games, I dare say.

7.7/10 animation