Twinkietaem's avatar

• Joined Dec 2, 2017
  • ? / Other

Yowamushi Pedal: Special Ride

Sep 27, 2022

Yowamushi Pedal: Special Ride is one of those OVAs where you expect it to be pure ridiculous boring filler for the OVA - and, to a degree, this would be correct. It's a filler of Onoda and Makishima bonding - on Makishima’s decision. It leads to Onoda’s otaku ways almost turning Makishima off of him entirely and wanting to leave, only for the OVA to take us on a new journey across the bike training path. For an OVA, there isn’t really anything special about it - it’s the same basic premise. Some filler, some laughs, nothing that really aids the plot - it’s essentially... See full review

Akame ga Kill! Theater

Sep 12, 2022

It's a little hard to rate AkaKill! Theater due to the varying nature of each one minute short, however, I can say, I really did not enjoy this.  Whilst crude humour is normally found throughout a lot of these different shorts, and whilst I'm not normally one to mark a show down for the odd joke here and there - AkaKill! Theater has the script writing of a bored author opening a book of terrible crude jokes, picking 18, laying out a story line for them and then having a small handful of actually good content in between.  I think there was maybe four or five episodes I enjoyed... See full review

4.8/10 overall

Midori

Sep 9, 2022

Look, Midori is not going to be for everyone - or barely anyone in the long run of all anime fans out there. It's an ero-guro, chilling shock-horror of a film/manga. Most people are aware of this anime only due to the fact it was banned a while back in Japan. I watched this as, for some reason, it's a MAL Badges unlockable and I decided to give it a shot. And frankly, this pales a lot in comparison to the cult whispering legends about this film. It's pretty weak; it relies almost entirely on the shock horror aspect of the source material, with abuse and such being the forefront of the entire... See full review

High-Rise Invasion

Jun 18, 2021

After finishing High-Rise Invasion, I have a lot of mixed feelings. The plot itself is actually pretty good and I found myself extremely intrigued by it. The Masks were all stunning, with most of them based on horror tropes that were pretty easily identifiable, and I enjoyed the aspect of it. The idea of the dystopian world was intriguing and, for me, brand new and I really enjoyed it. I found a majority of the characters relatable in a way and found myself binge watching it with ease. The psychological horror was very apt, and although it pulled from some overused tropes, it was still enjoyable. Now... See full review

Ichi the Killer: Episode 0

Jun 18, 2021

I've noticed a lot of people don't like this OVA for the fact that it doesn't stand up to the Miike film that was released a year before this OVA. This review is from someone who has read half the manga currently and has seen the Miike film three times and is currently watching it for a fourth as I write this review. Although I can see their point, I think it's important to take this at face value as a different form and new look into a series. This isn't meant to be related to the movie in any way, and going into it expecting it to be similar will ruin the experience for you.

-- Story... See full review

Junji Ito "Collection"

Jun 18, 2021

If you're looking for a comedic, bad art style collection of things not to do in any horror situations then congratulations, you've got a 10/10 anime right here, go ahead.

If you're looking for an anime creation of some of Junji Itou's sickest works then you'd probably have better luck creating it yourself.

Now, a lot of fellow Junji Itou fans warned me off watching this. Being a relatively new fan, I took their warnings into consideration but I still chose to watch this with a friend as something for us to do in the evenings. Part of me really wishes I'd listened to other fans of Itou... See full review

Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories

Jun 18, 2021

Watched for MyAnimeList's Anime Watching Challenge 2019 - Watch an anime with 10 or more episodes that are each 15 minutes or less

Yami Shibai is a series of five-minute episode ghost stories in a thirteen-part series. With each episode focusing on a different story, there is definitely an aspect of horror for everyone to be found in this short series.

This series has a lot of charm in its own way; it has its own animation style definitely different from a lot of anime styles that are found nowadays and it runs well. At first glance, it looks more like something for children, (almost... See full review

Perfect Blue

Jun 18, 2021

Watched for MyAnimeList's Anime Watching Challenge 2019 - Watch an anime Featured in an article from 2018 onward

Perfect Blue is an anime film known throughout the horror community for being a twisted psychological journey. Released in the 90s, Perfect Blue had a lot to try and stand up to in the years of psychological thrillers being released month after month. It had to make a name for itself and stand out among many similar genre movies and shows.

And it did it perfectly.

Perfect Blue is a stunning thriller that delves into the psyche of idol life. It's a dark and twisting journey... See full review

A Silent Voice

Jun 18, 2021

Watched for MyAnimeList's Anime Watching Challenge 2019 - Watch an award-winning anime

As someone who grew up partially deaf, Koe no Katachi is a manga series that has held my heart ever since I first discovered it. Shoko has always been a character I've been able to somewhat relate to and look up to in a way. When the anime movie was first announced, I wasn't so keen on the idea. I didn't think they'd be able to fully create the same effect that the manga has, the same beautiful scenes and facial expressions that really capture the full heart of this story.

I'm so glad I decided to watch... See full review

Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories 8th Season

Jun 18, 2021

Oh where, oh where do I begin with Yami Shibai season 8. I've been following this anime since I found it during season 6 and I've binged through it quite a few times and I'm just so disappointed.

The first 3 seasons are astounding, truly something that made me shiver and look over my shoulder and now.... Season 8 is the weak, heat tinted wind that blows through the garden on an extremely hot day and merely taunts you with the expectation of coolness whilst slowly cooking you faster.

I didn't expect too much from this season — since season 4, Yami Shibai has been slowly declining in... See full review

Chargeman Ken!

Jun 18, 2021

Chargeman Ken.... Oh, Chargeman Ken. Probably one of the few anime everyone can cohesively say is the worst anime ever made. But oh, that's the charm of the entire anime.

I first discovered Chargeman Ken by this video by Kenny Lauderdale that a friend sent to me — https://youtu.be/uczvIKDcnS4 (this is not sponsored in any way) — and I watched this in disbelief. Surely there can't be an anime as bad as Kenny's saying. It can't be as lazy, thrown together and hash tag as anyone is saying in the comments. It just couldn't be.

So I went with a few episodes Kenny highlighted in the... See full review