Twinkietaem's avatar

• Joined Dec 2, 2017
  • 23

High-Rise Invasion

Jun 18, 2021

After finishing High-Rise Invasion, I have a lot of mixed feelings.

The plot itself is actually pretty good and I found myself extremely intrigued by it. The Masks were all stunning, with most of them based on horror tropes that were pretty easily identifiable, and I enjoyed the aspect of it. The idea of the dystopian world was intriguing and, for me, brand new and I really enjoyed it. I found a majority of the characters relatable in a way and found myself binge watching it with ease. The psychological horror was very apt, and although it pulled from some overused tropes, it was still enjoyable.

Now, usually, that would be enough for me to turn around and easily give it a 9/10, maybe an 8.

But I cannot get past the fan service. I can't. The series is absolutely diluted with it, making your cup of juice taste like water with a single drop of flavoring and making your brain shudder at the mixed signals coming through.

The plot was strong enough. The characters were strong enough. The concept as a whole is intriguing and curious. The fan service was not needed.

And, unfortunately, it came off to me in the way that the creators didn't trust their anime, or trust the fanbase of a relatively popular series, to actually enjoy the show. They had to pull on countless unnecessary panty shots in hopes to pull in more viewers and to be honest, that worsened the anime. If it was kept to be a psychological, dystopian horror, this would be amazing.

But the fan service has left a bad taste in my mouth.

People will say welcome to anime, but oh, I am no stranger to anime. I'm well versed with fan service and the amount in this just takes the mick. It was doing well and it wasn't needed and it just got to the point it actively limited my enjoyment quite massively.

If you can get past the fan service, then this one is for you. If you can't then you're probably better off skimming the horror section for something else.

Lvand Jun 23, 2021

I agree with the fan service, it put me off to the point where i don't feel fully confident recommending it to people.