Thubanshee's avatar

Thubanshee

• Joined Jun 5, 2021

I had to check several times if this story was really originally a Korean story, because the themes somehow didn't fit with what I'd expect from those. There's a lot of deducing what other people think and what's really going on, it reminds me a little bit of Sherlock Holmes.

There's scheming without evil villain schemers (well, mostly),  there's training where the FL gets stronger/loses weight, without it being a training montage from zero to hero, the FL has both strong and weak sides, meaning she's neither OP nor a Mary Sue nor a weak-ass wallflower without resolve. She has a goal that she works towards, even though she sometimes has doubts. She fails and succeeds, she's arrogant but sees her own faults, I really feel like she's a genuine person and not just a two-dimensional cutout used as a screen for the reader's projections.

The relationship between FL and ML is also really funny. From the beginning, both of them show an unusual interest in each other. In a way, it's this classical trope of two people being constantly annoyed by each other and slowly falling in love without realising it. (At the point I'm at I can't even talk about anyone being in love, I just extrapolate from how it's been going so far.) What I like about it is that unlike in many many other stories I've read, both Western and Asian, this story really embraces the concept "show, don't tell" in this regard. We can see them getting closer and thinking about each other a lot, but there's no text describing it or implying anything.

All in all, I really like this story and am hopeful for the future of both the plot and the romance.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

upsidepenguin Oct 29, 2021

Great review! I completely agree :) If I hadn't read your review I would have been scared off by the low ratings.