TheMotherOfShips's avatar

• Joined Aug 30, 2017
  • 27

Fruits Basket

Sep 5, 2017

Alright guys. Buckle up because I got a thing to say.

I've been watching anime and reading manga for years, but I rarely have found a treature quite like fruits basket. The anime was actually one of my first, so when I found out about the manga, I figured it would be along the same vein: light, precious, sweet, and heartwarming. Now I wasn't completely wrong, because the first 6 volumes cover the entire anime and have the same sweet feeling. Little did I know how incredible and deep this manga would get over the following 17 volumes.

It is amazing. I obviously don't want to spoil anything, but I have to convey that the manga is much more mature and dark than the anime and so incredibly worth the read. We meet and grow to completely adore a variety of characters that weren't even in the original show and learn even more about the characters we already love. Natsuki Takaya is a storytelling genius. Her foreshadowing is absolutely brilliant, and while the art isn't completely top notch and does change over the course of the 23 volume series, it is still lovely and enjoyable to look at.

This manga is so important to me, I splurged and bought the series. I've lent it out to so many people and have read it through multiple times and fall in love again and again without fail. everyone. And I mena EVERYONE should read this series. You won't regret it.