TheCommander's avatar

TheCommander

• Joined Nov 14, 2013

Rokudenashi has a lot of initial promise. The first few episodes are laced with humor, and the MCs interactions with his students offer a lot of potential in terms of character development, for both the MC and the students themselves. The MC is extremely interesting at first, as he is an unemployed NEET who harbors a secret past as a special forces Mage, whose special ability is negating magic and thus he is literally a "punch wizard". The problem is, the show clearly had no idea what to do with all of their ideas so the whole plot strings along with one unrelated incident after another, finally resulting in a final battle that has literally nothing to do with anything introduced in the show thus far. Following that, not one single plot thread gets resolved.

Side characters quickly become annoying as they have very little personalization outside the first couple episodes. Shironeko / Sistine has an obvious crush on the MC, and fulfills the tsundere archetype. Yet even though they spend the entire 12 episodes showcasing her and training her character, she has practically no involvement in anything of substance until the final episode.

The princess character, who has a subplot that is hinted as the reason behind all the different events that happen, allows for an easy excuse for "things to happen" and has virutally zero character development despite an extremely strong start, and sits on the sidelines as simply an object to be protected.

There's very little of substance to be had in Rokudenashi. I debated simply dropping it, as by the 8th or 9th episode I had determined that the show was not going to improve in a substantial way. In fact, I was correct in my assumption because the show actually got worse.

Overall, I cannot recommend this anime. The first few episodes are interesting, but as they do nothing substantial with the premise, it's not particularly worth watching.