TheCautionBandi's avatar

TheCautionBandi

• Going Merry
  • Joined Dec 20, 2019

Josee, the Tiger and the Fish is a beautiful movie about dreams, goals, and reaching out for what you want. It tells a beautiful love story, with realistic characters, and gorgeous animation. Already a contender for one of the best anime movies of 2021 (though it officially released in Japan in 2020).

The movie's story is very simple. And I find that to be one of the most beautiful things about it. It's a simple tale about a disabled girl in a wheelchair and a college boy inspiring each other to follow their dreams. Simple, right? It's what the movie does with that concept that makes it so great.

The college boy, Tsuneo, accepts a job to take care of and wait on Josee from her grandmother. He takes her places and helps her experience the joys of life. He has dreams of studying abroad and she gets a dream herself (which is to become an artist). I won't say any more than that, because after this portion of the movie, we go into spoiler territory.

The movie flows so perfectly that it's never boring. It's charming and wonderful, sad and thoughtful. This movie is just brilliant.

Bones of My Hero Academia and Fullmetal Alchemist fame, did an excellent job with this movie. It has a unique and beautiful look to it. The art and animation is superb. Bones is really good with facial expressions and that really shows with the subtle expressions in some scenes. I wouldn't expect less from Bones.

The music was great, with the closing song done by Eve, who sung the first opening of Jujutsu Kaisen. The voice acting was also great.

The characters in Josee, the Tiger and the Fish are really realistic and relatable. They're not 2-dimensional like a lot of other anime. They display a lot of different emotions and are really complex. Josee is a really charming and well-developed tsundere, Tsuneo is a generic-protaganist on the surface, but later on in the movie he is shown to be way more complex, and Mai is the most realistc and complex character. I won't spoil, but unlike what other anime would do, she isn't outright painted to be good or bad. She's just human.

Overall

Overall, this is a fantastic movie, that you should really check out if you haven't already. It's beautiful and a must-watch for any anime movie fan.