TeamAlex's avatar

• Germany
  • Joined Apr 12, 2020

Seishun Buta Yarou wa Yumemiru Shoujo no Yume wo Minai

青春 ブ タ 野 郎 は ゆ め み る 少女 の 夢 を 見 な い

The film follows the events of Season 1 and brings the series to a pretty solid conclusion so far. It is unclear to me whether the novel will actually go any further. However, the film still hardly answers any real questions about puberty syndrome, it just poses new puzzles. This puberty syndrome is in fact far too powerful to be born out of a person's unstable psyche alone, no matter how the characters try to justify it scientifically. Just because a person collapses doesn't mean they can create an alternate reality and overlap it with the current one if desired.

I also wonder why it turned out to be a movie if a few Ova episodes weren't enough? After all, it didn't have film quality. Looked like another 5 episodes from the anime to me.

In any case, the film was mostly very surprising and at least cleared all the characters' puzzles and by the end you finally understood who was about whom and what certain events and scenes from season 1 were about. In this area everything was solved in an interesting way.
The atmosphere could also be kept very solid and the characters did not lose quality, but some of the screen time. But for a short film that was only about 3 characters, this is of little importance anyway.

The animations here were about the same level as in the series, so it didn't stand out too much. Little changed in the characters either.

The plot was built up unexpectedly, but anyone with some experience in this area would have already had a theory at the time of the film about what the girl is about and how it all developed. Unexpected things happened in the course of development and the implementation was individual, but everything came to the expected end, which was still good.

I especially liked the dissolution of the alternative realities at the end, I actually expected that it would be more of an open ending so that the fans could speculate, but everything was dissolved up to the last beach scene anyway.

Conclusion

A very interesting series with a very good implementation and characters.
However, I really hope for a continuation and a much more comprehensible explanation of the events.

7.5/10 story