Tay1or's avatar

• Joined May 17, 2021
  • 20 / Other

Angels of Death

Jun 10, 2021

This show is not for everyone, you will either love it or hate it. Saying that I do reccommend it anyone who wants a show to watch to pass the time.

The Plot

The plot can be dry and confusing at times but overall a good plot. 13 year old Rachel Gardner wakes up in an unknown location, soon chased by Isaac Foster. Despite nearly killing her, Rachel decides to befriend Isaac and help him escape the building they are trapped in and in return, Isaac will kill her as soon as they're out and she smiles. A pretty simple plot with a good mystery and antagonists. The traps they find themselves in remind me of a PG-13 version of Saw. Despite the show being about serial killers, there's not much blood or gore at times, so there's that bonus if you can't handle it.

I don't like the majority of the characters. Rachel can be annoying and whiny at times, but then again, I don't really like kids/young teens in movies or tv shows. Her character does develop throughout the season but it is very slow. Isaac carries the entire show. He has the best lines and the comic relief of the show, he's a good side character and throws in the edginess of the show. His dynamic alongside Rachel remind me of a sibling relationship with Isaac being constantly angry towards Rchel but protective over her when he needs to. The rest of the characters are antagonists and are similar to each other in many ways, yet they own have their own quirks. Reverend Abraham Gray is a condusing antagonist with questionable morals and actions. Cathy Ward is a chcarcter who reminds me of Jigsaw from Saw, she is eccentric and enjoys her role wayyyy too much. Danny Dickens pisses me off, but that's his job, and he does it well. Eddie Mason was severly underused, I feel like they could've used him a lot more, or explore his character more.

Sound Design

The sound is amazing, they add to the mysterious or creepy atmosphere but it also adds to the comedic element in some places. I don't have much to say about the sound but I did enjoy it and it made the waching experience more enjoyable. The intro and outro are okay, seen better but it's skippable.

Themes

There's a less than subtle theme of religion, belief and the existence of God running through the show, which asks Rachel who she is after taking away her belief in God. There are many elements that nod towards the bible, satanism and Christianity and the overlaps of each one with morality and who is god.

There are also themes of child abuse, suicide, mental health and domestic abuse which frames the structure of many of the characters which made them who they are now, in the present.