Starra's avatar

• New Zealand
  • Joined Jul 8, 2011

Kuro

Dec 14, 2019

Well... this was an interesting manga. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, if I'm honest.

The mangaka nailed the unsettling atmosphere. I definitely got the sense of foreboding that they were trying to invoke. It felt creepy and heavy and I knew bad things were going to happen.

I liked the concept of the monsters, although I would've liked a bit more of an explanation as to why they were there. I get why it's left mysterious, though, and that's just me being nitpicky.

I did feel sympathy for Coco. She was just an unfortunate victim of everything, and was trying to run away from her painful memories. Her relying on Kuro and using Kuro as a form of escapism makes sense to me as someone who also likes cats a bit too much, lol.

Other than the main characters, I don't have any real opinions on the others. Maria and Milk were fine, but they were just kind of there to me. Not a bad thing, though! Coco needs some friends.

The art is cute, no critiques from me. It's the kind of series that works much better in colour in my opinion. I don't think it would've been as impactful without it.

Definitely not one I would've picked on my own, so I'm pleased I was given it for Secret Santa 2019

It's not one of my favourites, but I don't regret reading it. It was compelling and a good, short read. If you're into mystery/horror featuring cat monster... things... this might be worth looking in to.

7.5/10 characters