Shortylynnchaos's avatar

Shortylynnchaos

• Joined Mar 1, 2013

Divine Gate

Aug 1, 2016

This anime.... Well it was good at the beginning but then as it progressed it slowly started falling apart and stopped making sense to me. The animation is AMAZING. And at some points you can see where they used CG instead of the animation to help things flow more smoothly, which I will admit it does.

The story is kinda jumpy. It'll go back and forth to the past and present and suffers from flashback-syndrome, or whatever its called. Where you see a flashback into the past for no particular reason over something that may or may not be relavent at the time. For me personally its a pain in the butt.

The sound is pretty good and I'm in love with the OP song if only becuz of the way they make the voice sound techno. Another thing that helped me to finish this anime was that Akane's voice is the same as Natsu from Fairy Tail and they both used fire abilities/magic so I could relate to that. Personality was a little bit the same too.

The characters were kind of all over the place. Sometimes youd see the side characters like the knights of round, and then theyd be there for no reason. Also why were the knights of the round table even named that? It has nothing to do with the story, none of their "code names" have anything to do with the Divine Gate and using different names for say Oz and Loki have no point. Oz really didnt fit his name although I will say Loki did.
One of my main issues was that Aoto was literally confusing. They never make it clear over what hes truely struggling with and the flashbacks he has dont help. It isnt until a little over halfway through the anime that you learn the truth and thats when he, himself points it out. In whichcase if your not paying attention you'd miss it.
Also, the Council. What are they? Why are they, Who are they? All you see is cloaks and hear mixed voices. Are they good? Are they bad? We'll never know!

Overall I'd give this anime a 7/10 if only becuase the animation was enough to push it past 5/10 for me. I was hyped by this anime and let down quite a bit. If your looking for confusing and almost puzzling this is your anime. If not then you may want to pass it by.

9.8/10 animation
9.8/10 sound

andreichekov Sep 22, 2016

The reason for most of the code names in it was because they are all really common, so they don't have to explain connections between them and what they are about. You have Arthur who plans to become king of the world. King Arthur had his knights of the round table. All of his knights of round had names of knights from the arthur stuff. Which, while it doesn't really fit divine gate as such, it helped me to understand them more, as someone that has read tons of King Arthur stuff, because they relate just enough to their named knights (atleast the ones that get lines).

I didn't have any trouble figuring out what Aoto is struggling with. To me he seemed torn between love for his brother and a fear that love means to be mean and abusive. He wants his parents love, but they keep him in a box and feed him cold food. (A large box, with a door and windows, and made from wood, but still a box). Then his younger brother kills them, so there is no chance of reconciliation. I thought that the little bit of confusion there actually helped the show, because he is a bit confused also.

Other than that, I agree with your review.