Shivichan's avatar

• India
  • Joined Oct 11, 2013

Sket Dance

May 2, 2014

Sket Dance- Well God, where do  I start?

Sket Dance is the biggest underrated gem in the world of anime.Dismissed by many as a School Life Gintama , I can't say if it is better than Gintama ( for I haven't seen it) BUT by no means is it less good than Gintama,or any anime out there.

The story may first seem as a simple one- 3 students, set up a help club, who will do anything, often leading to comical situations.Having 77 episodes is pretty good - for I believe that most people (including me)  are not able to emotionally connect to any 12 ep animes, and having more than 100 episodes gives many watchers second thought about watching the whole anime.Unlike Lucky Star, it is not timepass- and it has a certain randomness (which Gintama watchers will be able to relate to ).The unique randomness of Sket Dance sends me rolling on the floor laughing everytime. Infact, it is the first anime which has had such an impact on me. But the story does not end there.The backstories of the characters are tear jerking. Infact, the Switch off arc left me depressed for a month.

The only factor where i had to give it a 9/10 was the animation. I believe that the character design is ...somewhat plain. But hey, you can't really expect KyoAni animation in a comedy anime.

The sound is Magic. PURE MAGIC.Every opening and ending clutches to your heart.Sketchbook band deserves fame, man. Colors, Sekai wa okujou de miwataseta..not only sound awesome, but also help to further emotionally connect with this masterpiece.The voice acting is top-notch.Especially Tomokazu Sugita is commendable as Switch.His voice modulations send me rolling into splits :'D Himeko , without her voice actor, could not be such a good tsukkomi .

Ah, the characters. Sample this : An otaku who speaks only through a computer and gives the wittiest comments one can imagine, a tsundere, a girl who believes her life to be a manga, a wannabe Samurai, a headstrong student council prez ( not Agata, of course xD) A girl who speaks in abbreviation ( D.O.S.) ,An occult believer ( frequently fighting with switch, leading to hilarious Otaku vs. occult situations), a lead vocalist who speaks only in Visual Kei , and a main character who accepts that he has no special talent all packed into one anime. This is Sket Dance. Also there are those random teachers : a science teacher who invents dangerous stuff ( a medicine that could misalign your emotions and reactions xD) , A teacher who always has these wacky games ( my personal favourite xD). Really , the randomness of this Anime has won my heart.

Overall

I'll just put it simply : I can go on a cliff and shout on the top of my voice that it was the best moment of my life when I decided to watch Sket Dance. A 10/10 is not enough.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

NingenJanai Nov 19, 2020

how could you not include himeko in your character section **shock**

Riverman Jul 16, 2016

Good review, Though i don't think you should be saying "BUT by no means is it less good than Gintama" If you haven't finished Gintama. (Let alone 'tried it'.)

Sket Dance is very enjoyable. So much so, that it holds it's own as one of the best School Comedy Dramas. (Highly underrated.)

While Gintama is a 'contender' for Best Anime of All Time.