ShaftoftheSpear's avatar

• Joined Nov 15, 2009
  • ? / M

Omamori Himari

May 22, 2020

This show has all the makings of a pretty okay ecchi, harem, action-comedy.  Unfortunately, it has one of THE WORST main characters EVER!  Yuuto is the last surviving member of one of the great families of demon hunters, who is destined for the greatest of greatness, except he’s a pacifist, who hates violence – and probably girls.  Until his latent demon fighting powers manifest, his protector is a cat demon who turns into a hot samurai girl, named Himari, who wants to breed with our hero very badly.  Yuuto is also allergic to cats, which somehow correlates to him not being able to stand physical contact with Himari for very long, even when she’s in smoking hot, naked, horny girl form.  I reject this notion, since most Japanese folks I know bathe like there is no tomorrow (-for hours, even!), so Himari’s dander shouldn’t even be an issue.  But, seriously, bro?  Benadryl.

As our hero comes of age, all these demons start coming out of the woodwork to wreak havoc on the world.  Oh, if only our main character would just grow a pair, and do some man shit, this would be no problem, except he sucks and won’t use violence, even as the world burns.  This leaves our badass little cat girl having to pick up the slack and try her best to stop people from getting killed by demons.

Despite Himari being awesome, she’s really only supposed to be a side-kick character; she doesn’t have nearly the power that this guy is supposed to have, so she is constantly getting her ass beat right before his eyes.  Early on, it probably couldn’t be helped, since our hero’s powers had not yet blossomed.  However, part way through the series, his abilities began to awaken, and yet he still would do nothing.  --If only our main character would lift A finger to help her -help the world, for God sakes – this would be no problem.  But, he doesn’t.  All he does, well-passed the very end, is sit there and cry about how much he sucks because he CHOOSES to do nothing and let people die.  That’s right folks!  It was painful to watch this beta cry about Himari getting beat to shit, all the while cursing himself because he has the ability to do something about it, but he just doesn’t want to.

*SPOILER*

At the end, Himari is swallowed up by rage, and has lost her humanity.  This is all caused by our main character’s lack of action.  He makes a gamble and charges head first at her, armed only with the power of love (…?) to try and bring Himari back from insanity – ARE YOU CRAZY???  -What if that shit didn’t work?  -He should’ve had his face clawed off! -Still not wanting to fight going into the bottom of the ninth; how in the world are the creators going to end it?  -Because our protagonist clearly wasn’t gonna.  They Deus Ex Machina Yuuto an ability to magic girl Himari so she can end the episode, while our hero remains a damsel on the sidelines.  -Boy, these writers never miss a good opportunity to miss a good opportunity.  I feel so terrible for our poor, little, sex-starved, cat girl, Himari; her acute nymphomania and thundering nakedness are wasted on the likes of him.