Satanaell's avatar

• Joined Jan 3, 2018
  • 18

Yuri!!! on Ice

Jan 13, 2020

I spent a looong time avoiding this anime because the fandom is so fucking annoying it put me off, but now I've finally decided to force myself to watch it.

The story is alright, I love sports anime and it gave me a very similar feel to a normal sports anime. I love the characters, I feel like some of them, especially Yuri and Chris, were pretty unique. Though it was only the beginning of the show, you don't often see realistic depictions of weight problems like Yuri did and I thought that was neat, and Chris had a sort of flamboyant personallity to him but wasn't really shown to be sterotypical. I liked Yurio a lot, even though you see punkish characters like him a lot, I thought it was pretty cool to have a main character as young as 15 in it despite the other characters being much older. The ending was horribly disappointing though, it felt super rushed to me. It kind of built up like it was going to be a really emotional win for Yuri and then suddenly went SIKE.

I also felt like Yuri and Viktor's romance was a bit....dead? Like it didn't feel like there was any romantic chemistry between the two, they were just suddenly in a relationship. It's hard to explain but it was just so weird.

It's almost like the writers got halfway through the series and then were like "shit wait there's supposed to be romance lets just fucking throw that in somewhere maybe they wont notice"

Also Yuri only did the same two performances through the entire series and it was obvious that the animators kept using the same scene over and over again. Eventually I just skipped those parts all together cause damn I've already seen it 5 times already.

You can't convince me that anyone who says this show was amazing and perfect aren't biased because the show has a gay couple.