Roman's avatar

• Joined Aug 2, 2007
  • 34 / Other

Doraemon (1979)

Jul 22, 2010

Doraemon is a manga series, later adapted into anime, created by a mangaka duo named Fujiko Fujio. Their names are Hiroshi Fujimoto and Moto Abiko. The manga ran for a very long time, from 1969 to 1996 and, at the end, weighed in at 45 volumes. In 1973 it was adapted into an anime series and it still running, despite being dropped by various directors. In total, the anime series’ total number of episodes is a staggering 2165(!), thus making it the second longest animated series in Japan and, most probably, in the world. The series also has an impressive 30 movies.

Now, such a colossal number of episodes and movies must mean that it is good, right? That it probably has good writing, engaging stories and character interactions, right? Since it has messages about integrity, perseverance, respect, courage and/or family along with global warming, pollution etc. It cannot possibly fail, true? Wrong! It fails hard on every level. The series is seriously messed up and just wrong. The series is about a complete wreck of a human called Nobita Nobi who struggles through life. He has neglectful, sometimes even abusive, parents, always gets a zero at school, has no friends and is bullied constantly and mercilessly by two douchebags called Suneo and Gian who claim to be his friends (right, and I am cyborg pirate ninja Jesus). He also has a love interest, a girl named Suzuka, because she is the only one who is kind to him. One day his predecessors send a robotic cat, called Doraemon, to help, through time from the 23rd Century because his hopelessness caused them serious financial problems and thus want to help him. Doraemon has a thing called a 4D pocket, but I prefer to call it a God pocket because it contains any gadget and machine that can be possibly imagined. It has time machines, dimension creators, inter-dimensional transportations, shrink and enlargement rays etc. Despite this god-like ability, Doraemon fails in every episode. At the start of EVERY episode we get Nobita either getting another abysmal grade at school, getting beaten by the bullies or screamed at by his parents, usually by his mother because the father is mostly absent, working, if not that then minding his own business. There are instances of the Nobis interacting like a decent family but those are few and far between. Anyway, after Nobita suffers through his first order of abuse of the day, he then runs to Doraemon, obviously crying his eyes out, and asks for help, which he gets either willingly or reluctantly, where Doraemon gives him a gadget to fix the problem. Nobita, expectedly, being so desperate for some humane treatment and some love, abuses this gadget, and is made look like an arse in the end where he supposed to learn a lesson. Good God, my soul just hurts because of this and I don’t even believe in souls or God.

You know what the worst part is? Is that this got many cultural awards and Doraemon has received the honour of being the Anime mascot Also, this crap is supposed to be for kids! When I found all that out I was left speechless in shock. Just how is this possible? Shouldn’t, for example, Astro Boy get this place since he was made by Osamu Tezuka, the father of anime and manga?

In short, this series is a depressing, soul-scarring, losing-faith-in-humanity inducing massive piece of ... fail. Therefore I am giving it a well-deserved 0.9 out of 10. I would give it an even worse grade but, believe it or not, there are worse series out there. It still doesn’t deserve a 1, though.

PS: I haven’t exactly stopped watching this at episode 200. I don’t know when I stopped watching but I had to press some episode number otherwise I wouldn’t be able to upload the review.

0.9/10 overall

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

fangxiety Sep 7, 2021

im sorry to break it to you but many of the asian parents are very similar to nobita's parents, if not, worse.

PoulamiTheOtaku Dec 10, 2016

Well Doraemon is isn't that bad to get 0.9!

Stang90 Jan 7, 2011