Rascal's avatar

• At the Edge of a Universe, Humming a Tune
  • Joined Dec 24, 2016

*spoiler-lite review*

Herlock Sholmes

I'll just start here by saying that Code: Realize ~~gUaRdIaN oF rEbIrTh~~ isn't really my kind of thing. The harem thing can work for me at times, but when it's so obvious that you can't help but (code)realize who it's pandering to, it really does nothing for me, and Code: Realize is a great example of that. I understand this anime wasn't made for me since I haven't played the VN. That said, let's tear this generic anime a new one.

First of all the thing about this anime you'll notice most quickly are its characters so I'll mention those first in as great detail as I can. They're almost all generic bishounens, as the main character IS a generic anime girl, and the rest are for all intents and purposes, either her reverse-harem or want to kill her. It's kind of like having a fanbase. Usually you would accept that nothing you do is good enough and move on with your life, but not even the MC herself will let her do that because she has a curse called... honestly who gives a damn, it's poison skin. She can't touch anything or it will die.

She meets a band of fictional characters who weren't created by the creator of the story. You have Lupin, Frankenstein, that other guy, Van Helsing, and they all revolve around her because she's self insert and this is basically a fanfiction. There's also Herlock Sholmes. HERLOCK SHOLMES, EVERYBODY. I can't write a joke about that, because it is a joke already. There's also shota dracula. All kinds of pandering all over the place, each character exists for pandering and their stories are secondary, and cheaply thrown together.

The only characters who really adds much to the story are lupin and MC's brother, whose character design is terrible by the way, by either wanting to kill or wanting to save MC (again she's the center of the universe). The story is convoluted and wants to be edgy a few times but falls immensely short as it grasps back up at its cast, hoping that one of them will jump in and do something interesting, which they never do leaving the story to stumble on over itself and begrudgingly trudge forward to a convoluted end that resolves with deus ex machinas all over the place. It's such a mess to get into that I can only describe my problems with it in such detail. It's bland and not all that worth paying attention to.

So instead I'll just give you an abridged version from what I think this anime was trying to get across.

Wouldn't it be awesome girls if you had like 12 hot fictional guy characters around to literally damsel-in-distress you every episode until you can basically choose which one to marry, and your love would save the world and break curses? Well watch this anime. It's that.

The animation as a really weird feel to it and i'm not sure what they were going for with the artstyle. I guess this is their failed attempt at capturing the artstyle of a VN while making it look like an anime. The directing itself could use an extreme buff, the characters move like stills at times and it's just generally meh. The sound was what it was, the music didn't stick out for me and it wasn't used very well.

I'd say avoid this anime unless you're a huge fan of the VN. Even then, from what I gather it's a lame adaptation anyways.

Bloodlord739 Dec 20, 2020

"There's also Herlock Sholmes. HERLOCK SHOLMES, EVERYBODY. I can't write a joke about that, because it is a joke already."

This made me lol XD