Rainilla's avatar

• Joined Jan 1, 2016

Shugo Chara!

Mar 13, 2019

*Non-Spoiler Review*

I haven't seen the Shugo Chara! anime in well over a decade and was starting to miss the show. I decided to try the manga and ended up liking it a lot. As crazy as it sounds though I enjoyed the anime more. This might be because I'm way older now and I'm not really a part of the target age group anymore. Nostalgia has probably made me biased too. Anyways on to the review.

Shugo Chara! is a magical girl story that takes the whole trope and does something different. The main character Amu struggles with being herself and puts on a different personality for everyone else around her. This is a main topic of the story and many other characters also struggle with finding themselves and living out there dreams. From those struggles result little chibi characters who personify their want to be selves/ dreams. All of the little chibi characters are entertaining and reminded me of the chibi characters from Yumeiro Pâtissière.

The story doesn't drag on unlike the anime or feature a monster of the week trope. It also has a different/better ending when compared to the anime. Most of it was the same though. I'd say it's worth reading if you haven't seen the anime in awhile or wanted more romance. :D

<h1> </h1>