RabidMonk's avatar

RabidMonk

• Joined Mar 3, 2009
  • 46

Interestingly when I first came across this anime I was really confused.  There were all sorts of fan rankings saying great things about the Rurouni guy and also this show called Samurai X and there were all these titles and alternate titles and then some other anime that was related but not the OVA thing (which I had no idea what that was originally) and so on and so forth.

For the uninitiated it was a huge, confusing mess of information and if it wasn't for good old wikipedia I'm sure I'd never have figured it all out.

Ahem...

So this was one of the first animes I watched and it was probably a good thing I did.  I will admit I first stumbled on the much longer series which also goes by the name Rurouni Kenshin which is much less serious, and while initially interesting I soon lost interest (I may go watch a bit more some day...it wasn't wholly awful).  I was at that point wondering what in the world the anime community was doing ranking it so highly but I soon figured out that there was this OVA thing which was quite different and separate from the series I had started watching.

To my delight the OVA set was *much* better than the TV series and I found myself quite enjoying it.  Samurai X was the first time I recognized that there were actually anime studios that made shows that weren't just silly tripe for children and youths who were loathe to grow up and accept more mature forms of media.

The story was excellent, and the animation was of a quality that allowed me to to fully appreciate what was intended by those involved with its production.

It's a short journey to watch the 4 OVAs and I fully recommend it to anyone who is looking for both a great romance or just a great story.

Again, it's been a long while since I watched this one, but I do have a fond impression when I thing back on it.  Just watch it.  Seriously.  Just admit it.  You have wasted time doing things which have far less value than this show.  =)

You must be logged in to leave comments. or