PurplePeopleEater's avatar

PurplePeopleEater

• Joined May 18, 2014

Kuromukuro

May 15, 2016

So far this anime doesn't seem to be grabbing a lot of viewers but the first six episodes have been good. Yes it's a mecha anime, but it has some nice twists and from my experience, is decently differenet from others. Of course, I myself didn't start watching till six episodes were out and I was dying for something to watch. That was mainly because the description/summary on here and on the site I watch the anime on were pretty terrible at explaining anything or grabbing my attention. Well, I hate summarizing stories but I will try here.

It starts out with a rather ditzy air head high schooler who's mother works in this big research facility. The facility is built around two "artifacts" and despite a lot of research, no one knows much about these giant items. One day while the girl Yukina is visiting the research facility to see her mom, large things fall from the sky and one falls near the facility. Yukina touches one of the artifacts at that time and it reacts, unfolding to reveal a naked man who mistakes her for his princess. It turns out that Yukinna is able to activate the "artifact" mech with the man to fight the other mechs or "demons" that fall from the sky just has her lost father once predicted.

Well I'm not sure that is any better than any of the summaries I have read but anyway, moving on.

It's a bit hard to tell if this show will be able to continue strongly. Then again, any show less than 24 episodes doesn't have much hope in my opinion. That's not why I question how well this one will do. This is one of those animes that seems to want to put a little bit of everything in. There is a hint of school life and possible romance, some comedy, action, sci-fi, mechas, demons, person in a strange world, possibly supernatural elements (although it's too soon to tell), history, samurai, etc. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic since I've been disappointed by so many shows the past two seasons, but this could end up being a downfall. On the other hand, maybe it won't.

One of my favorite things about this anime is the person in a strange world part. There are many ways of presenting this idea but the way this anime does it is the way I like. It's unknown whether or not the lead male comes from the past or another similar world (suggested in the sixth episode sort of) but he certainly isn't aqquainted with out modern world. Even though this is an action anime and all, there is a decent amount of focus on his confusion with the rules and objects of modern society. This is also a focus of much of the comedy. I don't like it when they have someone in an unfamilliar place and the character barely reacts to it.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the stupid main character thing. Is it just me or is it becoming more common for the main character to be the worst or be really dumb? Maybe it was always like that, but it feels like it's getting worse. Actually neither the lead female or lead male are portrayed as being especially good at anything which is slightly annoying.

Well for now I give this anime an 9 overall, although I like to give high ratings at the beginning if the show has any promise, so if it doesn't follow through, my rating might drop much lower. We will just have to wait and see.