PurplePeopleEater's avatar

PurplePeopleEater

• Joined May 18, 2014

I am scoring this based on it being for children and being a childrens anime, not as a anime for all ages or anime in general!

Okay, so I know I watched at least some of this because I recognize the story but I don't recall watching over 200 episodes. When I rewatched I watched 40 episodes but that doesn't make any sense either. Anyway, I will just put my review here. I Liked Yu-gi-oh when I was young, and I still say it's better than Pokemon. I quite after the main character was no longer Yugi though and the new stuff is no good to me. Rewatching it now, I find it slightly annoying. Heart of the cards, friendship blah blah blah, etc is a bit much for me now but I guess it isn't as annoying when you are a kid. At least there weren't a bunch of characters that looked the same and had the same name playing the same role everywhere he went (like pokemon) and it does get kind of dark at times more so than Pokemon. (I'm comparing it to pokemon because Yugioh and Pokemon were the two main series for card games and stuff of a similar nature when I was a kid). The pokemon may have been cuter, but that was about it. I personally think Yu-gi-oh is a bit more mature than pokemon or digimon. Of course, at 22, they all seem silly.

Where I lived as a kid, Pokemon was the thing. If someone played a card game or collected cards, it was Pokemon. I support Yu-gi-oh. I don't get pokemon being a card game. At least in Yu-gi-oh, they actually use cards IN THE ANIME. In pokemon they use living creatures. If one of those shows should sell actual cards it's Yu-gi-oh.

Anyway, I think it's a good show for younger people. It is mature but still fun and easy to understand for children, plus the cards are cheaper. It has some good lessons in it unlike a lot of junk on tv now days. For adults, I won't recomend it. For children 12 and under, I would recomend it.

The characters do develop and are not completely one dimensional. They teach some good lessons about friendship, believing, power isn't everything, etc. It can be comical and serious, light and dark. The characters are likable and somewhat realistic. While it is about card games, the situations can relate to real life. It is directed towards both genders. The story doesn't repeat itself repetively without making any real progress like pokemon. You might get a tiny bit of Egyptian history out of it. Overall, I give it a 8.5 for children.