PurplePeopleEater's avatar

PurplePeopleEater

• Joined May 18, 2014

A Lull in the Sea

Apr 25, 2015

So at first I was like what the hell is going on. They are under water. They walk and swim. There is paper under water and they have water in a glass, under water. When they get out of the ocean they look completely dry. A fish just swam by that dudes head. HUH!? Well, spoiler alert, it does get explained although actually, only one of those things is explained. I felt like the writer could have explained it a little sooner though.

As for the overall story, it was touching and mostly well written. It addressed issues of discrimination, hate, faith, determination, friendship, children being more willing to overlook differences than adults, age differences, passage of time, etc. It does a pretty good job of it too. However, there are certain things I want to know that it never explained. The people who live under the sea have something called Ena which allows them to breathe underwater. The reason they are dry when they get out of the water is because the Ena soaks up all the water on them. However, they can only spend a certain amount of time out of salt water. So that explains a little. However, it doesn't explain how there is soup in a bowl underwater, how their homework doesn't get soaked and mushy, how they look completely dry underwater, why they would bother with walking, underwater and how it can look as easy as walking on the surface, or why/how that one lady was sweeping. How do you sweep underwater? Is there even any point? I want an explanation. Other than that though, I recomment this anime.

Some of the characters remain two dimensional but others are well developed. Some of the main characters aren't very developed while some of the others rarely seen are developed quite well all things considered. Everyone loves someone who loves someone else which gets a little annoying sometimes. One of the characters that was part of the group of four since childhood is kind of left out. He doesn't have much dialogue and he is often kind of just there which some people have an issue with. I think it's kind of fitting though and it adds to the dynamics of the group. He's the odd man out.

Anyway, I recommend this anime to pretty much anyone. Sorry my review is short. My hand is bothering me (and so are my annoying neighbors) so I'm ending this here. I really did like the anime though.

8.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters

You must be logged in to leave comments. or