PeterThomas6's avatar

• Georgia, USA
  • Joined Dec 12, 2010

Ai Yori Aoshi

Sep 6, 2019

I'm always a sucker for harem anime in one form or another, and I can trace all of my likes and dislikes back to when I first started watching anime. This one, however, holds a bit more meaning to me than the rest.

One of the things I really enjoyed about this particular anime is the purity behind the main romance in the series. It is one of the few harem I've seen where the male protagonist actually has an interest in one of the women of the house, and I yearned to see them have their moments together. If you're emotional, like me, you'll find yourself wiping away a tear or two for some of those moments. Without getting too personal (or letting my own personal feelings bias this review), I could also relate to Kaoru on many levels, especially about his past.

The characters leave a bit to be desired, even Aoi at times, where I felt that her reactions with anyone but Kaoru felt unnatural and awkward. I think the goal was to try and place a lot of emphasis on her naiveté, but there were moments when it didn't feel normal. Moments where you thought that no matter how sheltered someone is, there's no way that you couldn't have had experience with anything like that, right? Right?! Still, none of this took away from the beautiful moments and charm the series kept.

My only real gripe, however, comes from the way the series ended. I felt as though they tried to cram too much into the last few episodes, and it felt very rushed and not as fleshed out as I would have liked. I would have easily taken the filler episodes out for more details and insight into Kaoru's past, Aoi's past, or simply more exposure of just them together without being interrupted by the incredibly aggressive women in the series.

Well, that and the fact that using the second verse to "Towa No Hana" halfway through the series through me for a loop man. I was just getting the lyrics down for the first verse and BAM, gone with the wind.