PeterThomas6's avatar

• Georgia, USA
  • Joined Dec 12, 2010

Dragon Ball

Sep 6, 2019

There are a lot of points I agree with in many other reviews, so in an effort not to sound too redundant, I'll keep this short and sweet.

Like most people I grew up on Dragon Ball Z, and for a long while, I had no idea that Dragon Ball even existed. When I did, I was eager to watch the origins of a hero I had come to know and love. What I found was how surprised I had been seeing so many characters pop up that were present in Dragon Ball Z. There were a lot of roots built in this show, and thus, I scored the way I did because despite the things it lacks, fans of the show should watch this series at least once. You won't be clamoring to go back and see it again, but you'll be glad you got through it.

It'll take some time in the beginning; the show starts off slow and doesn't look very charming. You can see Toriyama's signature style still being built into what we know and love today, but that doesn't start fully developing until a bit into the show. There are a lot of cliche tropes that make this series cringeworthy at times, and it wouldn't be Dragon Ball without some filler, but even despite its shortcomings, it found a way to wiggle into my heart with the handful of episodes that made me go "this is exactly why I love the Dragon Ball franchise so much."

I'm heading into the last season now, but I can't imagine there will be much that will make me change my mind from where I am now. Will I pick this up again in the future? Most likely not. Am I glad I stuck out the adventure to have a firm grasp on the history and origins of this franchise? Hell yes I am.