NuclearHoneydew's avatar

• Greece
  • Joined Feb 17, 2016

Kannagi

Dec 3, 2020

This was recommended to me by my 2020 Secret Santa! Thanks a lot if you are reading this!

So Kannagi has some amazing comedy, simular to konosuba, i do have to admit that some of the jokes have aged, but it was around that era that i started watching anime so it was very nostalgic hearing otaku jokes and the like. It make fun at a lot of cliches and it seems to be very aware of what it is doing, almost like a parody of what was a typical slice of life anime those years. I do have to admit that i was surprised at some episode concepts the anime used to make jokes (that in the end fell a bit flat because of its age). The story is in my opinion the worst part of the anime, it seemed like an afterthought, that the director forgot after the second episode that the story even existed, and it had the moments of 'OH YEAH THERE IS A STORY HERE' every 4 episodes, until it reached the last 2 episodes and the director remembered ' oh damm i have to put a conclusion'. The same can be said about its main message, the thing that gave it the drama tag here, it was just an afterthought, like it was burried and overshadowed by its other components. The characters have to be the most enjoyable part of the anime, they are the center of the comedy and the events of everything in the anime are limited withing what the charecters are doing. There are a lot of character troupes used, but its only so the anime can make fun of them later. Overall, it was a very enjoyable show that had my expections very low at the start and surprised with its charm in the middle.