Neveresta's avatar

• Joined Jan 17, 2020
  • 20 / Other

Summer Ghost

Dec 7, 2023

Interesting premise, a decent cast, and a heart breaking story. That's what this movie had. It was an amazing idea, but everything else ruined this film for me.

Unfortunately, due to the horrible pacing, poor character development, and barely any deep diving into the plot or the worldbuilding, I was left absolutely frustrated by the end of the movie than satisfied. The art style and animation - that's not a problem. Sure, it could a lot better, but it has its own subtle charm. That's not my issue. Everything else is.

I love that it had a concrete idea in place, but seems like the creators of the story had no idea how to get there. While watching it, I felt like characters had literally SPED UP since they constantly talked so fast and they're were barely enough pauses between conversations that I was confused what they were rushing for, or why they were skipping the breaks.

The characters were easily a noticeable role and actually decent, however as the movie continued, they did not develop at all, but instead fell flat by the end. The arrangement of information on them that's presented in the film just doesn't fit right. You try to understand what little clues they present to you, and then try to out something else out about them, and they just don't sit right, like a leaning Jenga tower. There seemed to be a way to make it work, but they weren't presented right in the movie to even properly make sense.

I've definitely seen somethung similar in movies previously, and it wasn't TOO much of a problem. Maybe once or twice I can excuse, but constantly and repeatedly? No. It just makes me have to remember more that already doesn't make much sense makes my head hurt.

Anyways, I feel like I've just gone on a huge rant, but I was so frustrated for this movie because I definitely saw a lot of potential. With the right pacing and just a little character development, this would have been an amazing movie. I'm sad that it's basically kinda all over the place.

4.5/10 animation

You must be logged in to leave comments. or