NanaMoon's avatar

• Joined Jun 28, 2020
  • 22

Mononoke

Jun 28, 2020

"FLUIDLY CAPTIVATING and AESTHETICALLY STIMULATING." (Just plain review; No spoilers)

MONONOKE is a CLASSICAL MASTERPIECE THAT REPRESENTS HUMAN'S FLAWED NATURE and it is A MUST-WATCH...

I don't know where to actually start with this. In fact, the first time I saw a glimpse of this anime was from a short clip recommended to me on Youtube. I didn't really get the gist of it all and it actually had me cringing a bit because of the oddity of the scene I had watched from it. But then, it actually worked because it got me interested to the art form used in this series and how it effectively made me want to explore and see how it would actually work for a horror-genre anime. Then I found some quite interesting stuff from the comments section of that short video that talked more about how visually pleasing and meaningful this anime was. At first, I was skeptical but a few weeks later, I soon found myself looking this anime up on the web and immediately watched the first episode at an impulse.

(If you are actually looking for something that could give you the creeps and chills and all those foregoing fear of the supernatural; something that could make you feel a little bit unstable on your seat, this is the best one to get.)

It is not by far the best, but it lies on the list of the most promising animated series that could really give you something more than you can actually expect once you proceed with its episodes. Considering the art style, I admit it might be kind of odd at first since it's not usually what we get from other softly drawn and three-dimensional patterned animes we watch most of the time, but don't be deceived. So much as the art could offer, it extends its value more to the whole idea of the story and the main character's struggle to fulfill his main purpose.

In addition to this, it actually revolutionizes the entire idea of horror in general. Actually, it is not just the art, not just the characters from every episode, not just the plot, and not just the fear-provoking elements itself, but also the use of traditional sounds that were accentuated in the background to garner more emphasis to the captivating progressions revealed in the story that would surpass the viewer's expectations. It is really something that will give you an out of this world experience and will make you wonder deeply about human nature and the cause of fear that has been depicted on each episode.

This series is very philosophical. And to be honest, this is just one of those very rare series that will convincingly challenge you to take another look at it. And it is also one of the reasons why I still keep watching this every now and then. And everytime I do (i'm telling you), I still get so overwhelmed to discover subtle details I didn't even notice from the previous times I had watched it. And they would always make it more interesting.

Stomach churning, mind boggling, and something that lingers in mind...

It will definitely satisfy you until the very last bit but not enough to stop you from asking for more. I highly recommend this to everyone. It's not a risky watch and it's not much of a gore to even make you drop the series halfway through. And to the viewers, I also strongly suggest you to read the manga, but not until you finish watching the series. It will hit you differently if you watch it first before reading the visual pages.

Another thing as well, just to prove how much I really love this series, this anime was actually the first one I really want to write a review about and yes...

THIS DEFINITELY DESERVES THE FIRST (for me). But as to why I only rated it 4.5? Well, selfishly, I wanted more of it and I was unsatisfyingly satisfied that I am still hoping for more of Mononoke... Though technicality-wise? It's 10/10

PS: this anime actually came as a standalone episode from the Japanese anime horror anthology television series produced by Toei Animation entitled, "Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales".

xoxo NanaMoon recommends it!