MrChearlie's avatar

• Mexico
  • Joined May 31, 2012

Sword of the Stranger

Aug 10, 2014

This is one of those, fuck you elaborated mindblowing story, I want to do what I want. So, sure the plot is written with the logic of a kid entering to his teenage years, however it also have the heart of one; You can feel the lighthearted but strong love and passion on this film, It portraits itself for what it is, nothing amazing, just a "typical" Samurai story with cool fights, but it focus heavily just in that, and the results are outstanding, So if you watch this for the action and/or love for samurais, you will be more than satisfied, the animation is quite spectacular, I think that a little bit low-budget compared with other outstanding action animated movies like Cowboy-Bebop the movie, or RedLine, but still above the big mayority, is definitely not cheap, I just don't feel that sumerge in the atmosphere sometimes.

I really have a nice time watching it, those fast movement were clearly a sweet for the eyes, and the pacing was very fluid, however, this is not my cup of coffee since it didn't have much substance, although I was not dissapointed at all, since I liked that they didn't want to develop that much of story of characters, which by the way they were really likeable and had strong prescense despite of the simplicity of their personality, and the setting was quite interesting as well, you really feel the sensation of a real town, however it felt roughly disconnected to the rest of the story. In other words, the story is mediocre as well as for the characters, very straightforward and not much into details, the setting is there but it doesn't have that much of a vital repercussion to the essence of the movie.

So now you know, if you are into Samurai Fights just for the action, this is for you, highly recommended and worth your time, if you want a spectacular master-piece you might find that if you take the blood out of the picture is a perfect legit movie for little kids between 8 - 14, nothing impressive and may be a dissapointment. If you are in the middle of that equation, you might find it very entertaining, but also a bit meh like... well, me.

Never judge a review for its score, I rather have someone bitching about the review than someone complaining of some number

Judging by Taste
Kudos for: Awesome Action! Solid Pacing! Is not pretentious at all! Just the right dosis of Cliche and Corny moments! Rule of Cool well applied! Blood everywhere but no unecessary shock-factor! There is passion and love behind the project!
Half Full/Empty Glass of water for: It is very simple and easy going! Childish spirit!
Boo for: A really sexy and atractive woman... wait.... it is man... fuck you damn traps!  Outside of that, nothing really bother me.

Judging by Quality