Mochet1's avatar

• Joined Aug 17, 2020
  • 14

Mekakucity Actors

Jan 3, 2022

I had started this on a whim when I saw one of the charactors on an Instagram post and it's now quickly blooming to be my favorite series possibly ever. Mekakucity actors is part of a series called Kagerou Project started by Jin in the form of a Vocaloid Albumn. since then, it's gotten 3 more albumns of terrific songs (my favorite is Shissou Word), manga, light novels, a short movie, an official anthology, a radio and the anime, called Mekakucity actors. (also known as Blindfold City Actors in Eng). To everyone who wants to start Kagerou Project but hasn't seen anything yet, I strongly suggest starting with either the Light novels or Manga. Disclaimer, do be warned to try not to get too attached to any of the characters, you'll hurt yourself dearly.

Mekakucity actors when you haven't seen any of the other media is hard to understand (although not as hard to understand as the music route istg that thing is a jigsaw puzzle on steriods) is an absolutely outstanding show. It gives a seldom and desolate vibe sort of akin to that of a horror anime but at the same time extremely far from it. Its different in the way that where in backdrops usually bustling and full of people, its dead empty and silent, as if trying to pass on the message that is was 'them against the world'. This type of mystery feel is quite noticible in all of it's media forms and I would be lying if I said I didnt love it.

If you read any of the other reviews, you'll find that a whole bunch of then say that the show is confusing and in more than one circumnstance they found themselves thinking "What the hell is this?!" and as someone who also started the series by watching the anime, I wholeheartedly agree. I won't spoil what happens but its around ep 4 when you start to realise the disorted-ness of the whole show, but its not in the horror type of way as mentioned above, its that feeling of a slight unease in the pits of your stomach. but it's really not that bad, I probably just exaggerated it.

Away from the overall series and into the Characters, THEY ARE SO GODDAMN AWESOME. And I'm quite dissapointed to say that the anime doesn't show their personalities off as much as it should. I'm pretty sure this was due to the fact that they didn't have enough budget for a few more eps although if they ever did, it could have been probably a much more sensational anime. Honestly, all the characters are so loveable and I find myself clinging onto their every little quirk and habit. I felt so stalkerish writing the last sentence but it's true okay. If you ever search up 'Mekakucity Actors Characters' you'll find yourself laughing once you look at Kano's picture that google decided to use (everyone's looking so graceful and then there's Kano-). Once again, I cannot stress hard enough that Kagerou Projects Characters are so amazing!!! Yesterday was Kido's Birthday and I spent the entire day rewatching all of Kagerou Projects' media, listening to songs, rewatching the anime and movie, and rereading my favorite chapters of the manga and everything still hit just as hard even though it's nearly my third time speedrunning. If you were ever curious Kido is definitely my personal favorite, I'm such a simp it's embarressing T-T

ANYWAY! What I wanted to say was that Kagerou Project is definatly something worth the time getting into and even though it may be confusing, effort alway pays off at the end! I mean, whats there not to love? The awesome characters, overly bipolar storyline that switches from angst to crack, so many forms of medias to take up time, the hilarious official Anthology and that unlike any other anime type aura! Since Animeplanet doesn't have the show and the only place that you can watch it is on funimation with subscription, I watch it on animix where its free ;> Read the light novel or manga first though! (for those its either buy the books or go Illegal websurfing, Kagerou is a rly obscure series so you wont find it on any legal websites.)

Happy watching/reading/listening!!!!