Misoony's avatar

Misoony

• Joined Dec 16, 2021

I really like Doctor Elise, it's not the most well-made anime, but it is pretty good. Getting to see Elise make up for her past wrongs, form friendships and save people has been really nice to watch. While the anime does have some issues, it's still quite enjoyable.

I read the manwha a few months ago, and I really enjoyed it. I tend to like stories related to medicine, and I'm also just a big fan of shoujo romance lol. However, this anime is a downgrade from the manwha. It's still decently good. It's a step up from the other shoujo manwha adaptions I've seen, though it's not the best I like the romance and doctor aspect of it all still, but the anime downgraded that from the manwha. Elise is reborn into her previous life, and she takes this as an opportunity to fix her past mistakes and become a doctor, and along the way there's a sweet romance story. I love that premise and I still love it in the anime. The anime still does a good job at capturing the charm of it all. A lot of the anime is just focused on Elise righting past wrongs and changing the story/world for the better.

The anime only covers what I'd consider the set up to everything, Elise becoming a doctor, mending her past wrongs, and Liden developing feelings for her. While at the same time she establishes bonds with all these other characters, ones that she cared about before and people she missed out on having a bond with in her past life. She's trying to change the future, which is a multide of different bad things, and she does a good job at it. It's a pleasant watch.

The pacing of the anime feels really slow, which is probably necessary since the anime wouldn't have been able to cover the war arc, but I feel like it's missing out a lot on the best part of the story because of this. Such as the romance and the more exciting scenes. There's still some sweet scenes, but not as much as I'd wish for. I like how the anime showed Liden in a disguise to go visit Elise though, that was cute. And what also came along with the slower pacing was showing more of Elise's past life and her time becoming a doctor in her new life. We get to see her mending relationships with people, different parts to her life, and overall get a good feel of everything. These scenes were shown well in the manwha too, but since they took a slower pace in the anime, it made me pay more attention to them rather then when I was reading the manwha and read them fairly quickly.

But the main issue I have with the anime only specifically covering a certain portion, is the fact it left out/altered certain scenes that were really important in the manwha, but they took out the importance of them in the anime. As the anime goes on, it begins to really change up the storyline from the original storyline, all to excldue what the story really is leading up to since the season won't be able to fit it in. With the storyline being altered, a lot of important moments in the manwha don't exist in the anime and are completely subsituted for something different. I still like the anime version, I don't mind the subsitutions for the story too much, I just found it a bit confusing. However, they also did add a scene that I didn't see in the manwha where there was a fire at the theater, and Elise and Liden had to escape together. That was a good bonding moment between the two, so I'm glad they added another scene with them becoming closer in the anime. Yet with this big plot change, that left a ton of stuff out, they summed up a lot and made it seem like there's no chance for a second season.

I think the side characters are done well such as Yulian. Her and Elise both talk about their feelings and how they treated each other in the past, and it's a good conversation between them. They become good friends and it's nice to see that.

Okay, one of the issues I have with the anime, which isn't really important but it still bugs me. The animation and character design looks really basic. The manwha was really pretty, and I don't expect an anime to be as pretty as it, however all the characters look a lot more basic then they did, a lot of their detail is missing. Aside from just the character in general, a lot of the time Elise would have pretty outfits in the manwha, but then the anime replaced them with her normal outfit, which was a bit disappointing. The anime also changed the backgrounds to a few scenes and made them look a lot more basic. In general the animation is okay, it's not bad, but everything looks mildly basic. However the dancing scene was the worst dancing scene I think I've ever seen in shoujo anime. They were barely even moving. However I do like the music a lot for this anime, sometimes it can be a tad over dramatic, but in intense scenes, especially in episode 11 where there's the violin, I really liked it.

Another issue that's found in both the anime and manwha, is Elise. She can definately be seen as a typical Mary Sue lacking any character development and being perfect all the time. This can be fustrating, but at the same time she also went through character development in her past life so it makes sense why there isn't a ton to me. But still, I feel as if she shouldn't be totally perfect and there should still be some character development. Even if it was just a bit more difficult for her to become a doctor, I would have prefered that. I don't know, it's just a bit fustrating to me. She's still likable though, performing her duties as a doctor and her drive to help people is something I like seeing, but not very complex.

I don't know where else to put this in my review, but a lot of the medical stuff that goes on in the anime is very inaccurate, which doesn't really matter all that much to me since it's an anime, but I still figured I'd say this. It'd be cool if it was accurate, but it's okay that it's not.

Overall, I'd say the anime is decently good. It's a sweet story and I am enjoying it. It's not very complex, but I didn't mind it too much. I hope I didn't criticize Doctor Elise too much because I genuinely do enjoy it.

7.5/10 story

You must be logged in to leave comments. or