Mendacious's avatar

• Joined Jul 20, 2014
  • ?

The Fruit of Grisaia

Dec 1, 2014

I came to The Fruit of Grisaia with no prior knowledge of it. Having not played the visual novel it is based upon. This review is written after having watched the first five episodes. Unless I find myself with a remarkable presence of free time in the future I will not be returning to The Fruit of Grisaia.

The animation is the standard fare these days. Music, opening and closing tracks are unexceptional.

The Fruit of Grisaia's biggest problem is the same one that plagues most visual novel adaptations. Visual novels are mostly non-linear, their narrative follows a branching progression to create multiple possible outcomes in accordance with player's choices in the world. Anime like most artistic fiction is a linear story. The series creators thus must select one ending of visual novel and then lobotomize the other story routes to fit into the middle like unnecessary filler. No matter how well done, the result is always unsatisfactory. The stories flow is at best uneven and at worst fragmented and choppy. Story routes are covered that add nothing to the main narrative and can even lead the viewer to assuming that there is no main plot. It all just seems to idle along pointlessly. The Clannad series while very good was also let down by this. Clannad however had characters that elicit emotion from the viewer. The Fruit of Grisaia does not.

This series ticks most of the generic anime tropes. The plot revolves about a bunch of special teenagers at a special school with no parents in sight. Why the school and students are special is not explained. Their abnormality is just assumed. If there is a main plot device then I can say that it has not been revealed by episode five. This far into the series next to nothing has happened. The exclusive focus seems to be on the interpersonal relations of the six main characters. By that I mean the five girls courting the protagonist Yuuji Kazami.

Yuuji Kazami is stoic, very knowledgeable and athletic. It is just unfortunate that all he has is a cool personality. We learn very little else about him and never see any of his less desirable traits. He is the one good point of this series and reason why it gets two stars. The other characters are all instantly forgettable.

Unless you have plenty of time to kill or just really want to watch the anime adaptation because you played the visual novel give this a pass.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or