Melonaide's avatar

• Ukraine
  • Joined Dec 6, 2018

On the Emperor's Lap

Jul 8, 2020

Story: This story is about Bella, a war orphan who was abandoned by Kiris, who later becomes the emperor. He finds her years later and the story kicks off. Bella is expected to 'get over past hurts and believe in love again' at the end of this book but I just find that unacceptable. I feel like I'm just reading to see when she's finally going to develop Stockholm syndrome. I'd rather not.

art: the art was okay. vibrant colors, good shading but from the drawing... I was getting some sailor moon vibes which I'm not a fan of. sorry.

Characters: Ahh. Haven't we all been waiting for this? I think the author tried too hard to express their archetypes and roles and as a result, lost space for actual character depth. Take the emperor as an example. the author tried to portray him as a stereotypical perfect ml. cold and distant on the outside but warm and caring on the inside. the problem is the author focused way too much on making him appear cold and when they realized he was also supposed to be 'warm on the inside', they tried to fit in scenes where he appears kind but instead, it just makes the character as a whole crumble apart. this problem was persistent in almost all the characters. the ml was the worst though.

overall: this surprisingly took my attention and kept me hooked for 16 episodes before I called it quits. I mean, a girl can only take so much. altogether, not too bad. if I was younger when I found this, I probably would've read it till the very end and would've even crossed my fingers in hopes that Bella would end up with the emperor. so maybe it was meant for younger audiences but I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone.