MadamOtaku's avatar

MadamOtaku

• A Fantasy Universe, Ohio, USA.
  • Joined Oct 25, 2020

Summer Ghost

Aug 11, 2023

Subtle and quietly inspiratinal.

Questioning their lives and reasons for living, three teenagers are drawn together and seek out a ghost they believe commited suicide.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Having just finished this movie, I'm left with the feeling this was an animated farewell letter from a dear friend.

The art is faded and the music is barely noticable, but I believe that is by design. The creators did not want to distract from the message.

This melancholy film should be on your watchlist. At only forty minutes, save it for a rainy, calm day where you can give it the attention it deserves. Some will say it is slow or boring, but I say it's subtle and unforced. It does not try to make you cry, or feel sad for overly tragic characters.

Character growth is a bit lacking, but Tomoya, Aoi, and Ryo are made to be more realistic. They are not going to go from suicidal to happy-go-lucky overnight. Aoi wouldn't suddenly find charasmatic confidence in a few months. Naturally that would take years to overcome and many people battle depression their whole lives.

40 minutes.

PG-13. thoughts of suicide, attempted suicide.

6.5/10 sound
7.6/10 overall

You must be logged in to leave comments. or