Lenachan3ko's avatar

Lenachan3ko

• Joined Aug 23, 2018

My Roommate is a Cat

Apr 8, 2021

(Slight) Spoiler Free Review!

I watched this in Fall 2020, but I decided to come back and give this anime a review.

During the time I was watching this, I recently had lost my cat to kidney failure. So I may be a bit biased in this review. Despite this, I would like to express how much I love this anime. I would absolutely recommend this to cat lovers or animal lovers in general.

If you know someone who doesn't understand why people like cats, please show them this anime. I love the emphasis on how beneficial having a cat is in your life. At first, the protagonist was indifferent to having a cat, but seeing his relationship with the cat bloom is so special and beautiful. It's so heartwarming.

There were many episodes that brought me to tears, not only because I was thinking about my cat, but because of how well-executed the writing was. Although there isn't many characters to focus on (and honestly there doesn't need to be), I think they did a great job developing both Subaru (the protagonist) and Haru (the cat).

I think the thing I love most about this show is how the episodes are structured, though. In the first half of the episode, it will focus on Subaru's life as an author and how he is puzzled by the cat and adjusting to life with her. In the second half, it will be in Haru's point of view and how she is confused by Subaru's human words and actions. I thought it was so adorable.

I hope more people watch this one because it sincerely reminded me how much I love and miss my cat.