Leahchu's avatar

Leahchu

• Joined Jun 7, 2018

The Royal Tutor

Apr 8, 2021

I did not expect this show to be as good as it was. Thank goodness for my friends pushing me to watch it!

Story: At first glance, I really expected this anime to be Quintesential Quintuplets, but for females. Just a harmless and fun story that makes you choose a favorite sibling and roll with the entire season like that. Happy to report that I was completely wrong, and that it is a wonderful show with a hint of mystery and a lot of laughs. The story is all about a tutor coming in to teach four princes in line for the throne. Each of them has various reasons for NOT wanting a tutor but in time learn to accept their new teacher. Throw in a splash of mystery for the end, and you have a show that doesn't feel predictable, at least in my honest opinion.

Animation: The show never looks bad, but there is a strong emphasis on making the close-ups of the characters the best they can ever be. The shading, angles, and poses definitely show where a great deal of time and energy went to in the production. Again, I am not complaining in the slightest. The show definitely caters to male fan-service (in the most respectable ways) so take the knowledge however you'd like.

Sound: As standard for anime I review here on the site, the OP and ED are not skippable for me. The rest of the anime has decent sound but as always the themes are the best parts of the sound department. The sound affects for some of the gags did make me laugh a fair bit too, of course!

Characters: At the beginning it may definitely feel like each of the princes have one personality trait that they will thrive on for the entire show, but give it time. The show goes into detail for each brother, fleshing them out and really building them into deep and relateable characters. I personally would be a little bit shocked on how much I enjoyed each prince's personal episdoes and it took me a while to pick a favorite. Even now, the other three are in a constant battle for the 2nd place spot. A single rewatch of the show could flip that list on its head. Sincerely, the characters make an already good show into a great one.

Overall: I enjoyed this show so much! If you are on the fence because of what it looks like on the tin, I promise, it has so much more to enjoy than just cute boys. Its one of my new hidden gems for sure!