KodamaSpirit's avatar

KodamaSpirit

• Portugal
  • Joined Sep 4, 2017

Disclaimer: spoiler free for anyone who's seen season 3, Part I

The third season of Attack On Titan is undoubtedly the best so far. If we look at each of the parameters - story, animation, characters, etc - they all fit the cut and go much further. That being said, let's jump to a more thorough analysis on what makes this anime a five star show, for me.

Story and Characters

We finish Part I with the Scouts about to embark on their mission to take Wall Maria, and it's precisely at Shiganshina District that more than half of the episodes take place. The fight to get to the basement in Eren and Mikasa's house is brutal and merciless, and we can't help but to eagerly want to know what will happen next.

The characters grow beyond what I'd expected. Each individual deals with their own struggles, many of them tearing their own essence apart. But it's at this chaotic time that choices are made, and we - who've been watching the Scouts fighting for so long - end up putting ourselves on their shoes. If that happens, then surely we are living the anime, and not just watching it. There are many questions left unanswered at the start, and we so badly wish for Reiner or Bertholdt to break, telling the truth. Truth. That's the one word, isn't it? The million dollar question relies on: "What's the truth?", and the mystery revolving around it is very well kept and, at last, unveiled as we are taken further back, to the root of the problem.

Animation and Sound

Well, the animators did a tremendous job with this one, not only in designing the characters, but also the scenery and action scenes, where they use the ODM. The expressions, particularly when it comes to the eyes, are spot on and transmit the pain and fear that is inherent to the battle - just take the black lines on their faces, when they're filled with dread and terror, or anger, for example. Levi kills it again, and seeing him slay in high definition feels like a blessing to be honest.

I enjoyed the quietness of some moments, as it happens with Eren and Levi, or our now familiar trio (Eren, Mikasa and Armin), and how they portrayed it opposed to the restlessness going on around them. When it comes to sound, I liked both the intro and the ending, but above all the first one. They combined the three seasons into music, and that was a hell of a touch.

Overall

We've come a long way since season 1. Been through rocky times, where things seemed to be slipping away, but season 3 pulled through and left no trace of downfalls. If you enjoyed part I, then most certainly the same goes for this one; might even say, this is one of the best anime I've seen in a long time. It grabs us and makes us think that maybe we are not so different from the one's encaged behind the walls. After all, can't we pinpoint so many similarities between us and them.

8.5/10 story