JustInCaseD's avatar

JustInCaseD

• Joined Apr 29, 2020

After seeing all the reviews and bashing about the anime, I decided I would give it try and see how far I could make it before being either disinterested in what was happening or just hate it. I've suffered through School Days, Master of Ragnarok, and other garbage - so I figured I'd try my luck here. And suprisingly... neither happened. In fact I suprisingly kinda enjoyed this, to some extent.

Nobody out there will tell you that Smartphone has an interesting premise, unique plot, well developed characters (because it doesn't) and the lack of the smartphone being used as part of the story (other than occasionally getting calls from God like after he marries a 12 y/o girl... no, I am not exaggerating) is a big turn-off for the appeal of the anime. But what it does have is very consistent and entertaining diologues between character interactions that it made it quite enjoyable. The side characters were honestly better than the main cast, and many became frequent appearances after their showings in earlier episodes. When they showed up something amusing was bound to happen - and it made them both memorable and enjoyable. The king and his brother in particular were hysterical and I loved every time they showed up after their debut episodes. Also every interaction outside of the initial one in the first episode with God was pretty amusing.

For a low budget trash-tier anime, In Another World With My Smartphone was a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be. It's definitely not winning any awards, but at least it didn't feel like a total waste of time. I was entertained enough to finish it and didn't have to force myself to keep pushing through to do so like I've had to with other garbage shows. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it, but nor would I go out of my way to deter anyone either. It's alright for what it is. At worst was an enjoyable casual "hate watch" on par with other popular harem dumpster fires like Infinite Stratos, not the "1/10, 'worst thing I've ever seen'" bandwagoners have spammed here. There have been many more worse seasonal isekai/harem dumpster fires out there. A lot of the hate shelled at this one borders on excessive/unnecessary; it certainly has issues and isn't a standout, but it does have it's few decent to good qualities that kept me interested in the show and puts it to passable "mid" territory.

5.5/10 overall