JustInCaseD's avatar

JustInCaseD

• Joined Apr 29, 2020

Remake our Life!

Sep 27, 2021

Remake Our Life is to Pet Girl of Sakurasou what Golden Time is to Toradora: a very similar story with a cast of characters with strikingly identical qualities to their comparisons - but in an older, mature setting. High school is replaced with college as the setting and a lot of the cliche unrealistic rom-com elements that filled Pet Girl and Toradora are replaced with more realistic circumstances that the older members of the audience very much relate to in Remake and Golden Time.

Remake really did feel like a revamp of Pet Girl of Sakurasou, which is a great compliment given Sakurasou's cult classic status as a rom-com. It took the elements and theme of learning through failure, facing tough competition and the pressure of being surrounded by talented people, then applied it to the adult world - while also cutting down on the stereotypical rom-com tropes that plagued Pet Girl. Because while there was also the side romance love triangle between a hardworking loudmouth girl and the quiet yet extremely talented artist who both wanted the MC (Sakursaou fans will definitely find something familiar here) it didn't just tease around and center the entire show around that aspect - instead rather moving along naturally and finding a winner around the halfway point in a fairly realistic way (similar to Golden Time and how it did a roughly same equivalent to Toradora).

It also had an ideal ending that didn't feel forced and left the door open for there to be potential for a sequel, or just end where it was. That's honestly the best way a show could end.

The few knocks I do have against it is being a bit confusing to follow at the beginning and towards the end with all the time jumping shenanigans, and the questionable inclusion of a... "magic time loli" revealed towards the end. Kinda similar to how if you removed ghost Banri from Golden Time it would've been a closer to perfect show; the time controling little girl was a weird and unnecessary inclusion. Some things were better left unexplained and left more mysterious imo.

Remake our Life was fantastically well done and incredibly enjoyable to watch. It was a genunine gem we don't often get from seasonal anime, and really stood out this season. If you liked shows such as The Pet Girl of Sakurasou or Golden Time particularly - then I especially reccomend this one for you.