Jurianne's avatar

• Canada
  • Joined Dec 7, 2010

Embracing Love

Dec 11, 2010

You like boys love ? Read this !
You like story with actual plot ? Read this !
You like characters development ? Read this !
You don't like typical uke and seme ? Read this !
You dislike sex in your shonen-ai series ? Read this !
You love sex in your shonen-ai ( aka yaoi ) series ? MUST read this !

YAOI, BISHONEN-AI, COMEDY, ANGST are THIS WAY !

Summary:

Two AV ( Adults Video ) actors Iwaki Kyousuke and Katou Yoji are competing for the same role, being the male one ( seme ) of an upcoming movie. They went as far as betting the outcome of the audition. Little did they know on what they were really betting for. One winner. A year later, they meet up again and then star as a gay couple for a new tv serial. Then begin an epic love story about two man who realized little bit at a time how much love is such a beautiful and natural thing that doesn't bother with the gender factor at all.

Story: 9/10

Storywise, It's episodic ( think Junjou Romantica ), presented in normal mode pacing as will be later explained. It's no Maiden Rose poetry writing style but it has its own merit for  including various life aspects such as love, trust, family, friendship, commitment and professional work-oriented attitude. It might look like the usual Shonen-ai cliche but the quality once acknowledged is far from staying unnoticed amongst that group. That said, maybe the fact that both main characters are already in their 20s affects the way the story has to be presented. Anyhow, as a reader I got pull into the story and its never-ending volume and just cheered the couple again and again,laughing with them, feeling my heart aches in their despair and sorrow and being envious of their bittersweet love story. The story was this good. While reading it, I thought of Koisuru Boukun ( The tyrant who fall in love ). Quite similar on various aspects.

Art: 9.5/10

We can tag this series as YAOI, COMEDY, ANGST containing EXPLICIT materials. Usually I'm a bit ambarrased by art being a tad too graphical. But in this manga, It didn't bother me except the first 3 pages for I was't prepared mentally for it. Later I just accepted it as being part of their love story. It might be fanservice, but every sex scenes are introduced so well that you just forget about the graphic and just wonder how sweet and natural that is. Unlike the majority of BL manga I've read, sex is not added for the sole purpose of exciting the reader only. Sex in this manga is just naturally a requisite element of their love story. And that is beautiful! While the drawing are finely done with details and such, I'm a tad disappointed with the coloring when seen.

Characters: 10/10

Characters development is most probably the factor that got me addicted to this manga. Every characters for its being main, secondary or minors aren't two dimensional at all. As a reader, I was able to feel them real. It's amazingly well written out ( drawn ) !

My thoughts:

To be honest, I really don't know how to put it without giving away story hints that would simply spoil this great manga. At first, I didn't really feel like reading this. The summary and cover book didn't really call for me. On the second time I stumble upon it, I decide to give it a try and that was one nice Christmas gift I gave to myself. ^-^" So do yourself a favor and read this manga. Because myself, I can't believe I enjoyed the ride ! :)

9.5/10 art