JohnnnMannn's avatar

• Joined Sep 9, 2019
  • 24

Dropkick on My Devil!

Sep 11, 2019

(Spoiler Free) Read if you are unsure whether or not you want to watch Dropkick on My Devil! to see if it's for you.

Dropkick on My Devil! is a fun filled yet gruesome comedy filled with satanic characters in a normal almost slice of life setting. If you are deterred by gore, have no fear, as this series has nothing explicit and is very good about censoring scenes. Quite often censorship is used as a fourth wall break. The number of meta, fourth wall breaking jokes featured in this series goes beyond anything I have seen to date.

Jashin, an immortal devil taking the form of a lamia, is summoned to the human world by Yurine Hanazono, a college student and local witch. The only problem is that Yurine doesn't know the spell to send Jashin back to hell. Thus, the only way for Jashin to return to hell is to kill her fellow roommate and summoner so that she can break the spell. The series progresses in multiple scenes per episode regarding Jashin trying to achieve this goal while interracting with her various friends that are quickly introduced along the way.

Characters and how they interract with each other is the main premise of this show. Jashine is an absolute terrible person, and takes great pleasure in doing rude or obnoxious things for her own benefit. Yurine is incredibly strong and equally ruthless in how she deals with Jashin's antics, often leading to gruesome scenes where Jashin is killed or mutalated in some cartoon-like way. Dropkick on My Devil! stands out among other anime of the comedy genre due to its unique dark comedy that contradicts with its otherwise cutesy animation. Each character has their own unique quirks that really add a lot to the show, but I won't describe any of the other characters to leave a little bit of a surprise!

Dropkick on My Devil! is absolutely adorable. Character designs are cute. Character interractions are cute. Everything is adorable. As I said earlier, despite the universal cuteness, Dropkick on My Devil! has a constant dark theme following many scenes, seeing how the main objective to the story is for Jashin to kill Yurine. The animation style is not depressing in the least, and even the gruesome scenes are overly lighthearted, adorable, and purely comedic. The animation in this series really builds the world to be bright, colorful, and fun.

Comedy

Comedy obviously plays a big part in Dropkick on My Devil!. This series will really give you a good laugh. From sweet and funny character interactions, to awesome and creative fourth wall breaking jokes, to countless easter eggs directly referencing other popular anime (DBZ, Attack on Titan, etc), this series is bound to make you chuckle. Trust me on this one.

Music

Not going to lie, the music is actually really good. It is bright and colorful just like the animation, and compliments it perfectly enough to add some great depth to the scenes. The intro and outro music is even great! On multiple occasions I simply would let the intro play just to hear the song instead of skipping it, which is a good indicator for any series that the music is at least alright.

If you have read to this point you are obviously at least a little interested in the series. I highly suggest you give it a try to see if you like it! Need I say more?

8.8/10 overall