My Controversial Anime Opinions:
1. Sword Art Online is not a terrible show. It is not a fantastic show either. It is just about average. In fact, compared to many other shows like it, it is probably a bit above average.
2. Avatar: The Last Airbender, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, and RWBY are just as much anime as King’s Avatar and Castlevania, which are just as much anime as any other anime show. Anime is not long solely Japanese. It may have started that way, though an arguement could be made that it was never the case, but now it has spread into the rest of the world. There is virtually no reason why we cannot simply use the terms “Western Anime” and “Chinese Anime” and “Japanese Anime” and so on to distinguish between anime shows. So, yes, those shows are anime, to me at least, as well as many other shows.
3. I actually found Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress to be a better written show than Attack on Titan. Though, rewatching Attack on Titan, I found I had fewer issues with it than I remembered. I’ll have to rewatch Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress some time to verify this opinion.
4. Kayaba Akihiko from Sword Art Online season one was not a terrible villain. He had a genuine reason for what he did. I am not saying he was the most mentally stable individual, but he wasn’t just some needlessly psychotic maniac with no motivations for his actions.
5. Fanservice ruins anime. I believe this to be true almost without exception. The only things that adding fanservice to an anime does is reduce the overall quality of the show and ruin the mood of whatever scene it is placed into. It is unnecessary and completely unwarranted. It is not funny and it does not make the show more interesting in any way.
6. The ending to the movie Your Name was incredibly disappointing and nearly ruined the movie for me. It wasn’t as disappointing as the ending to the show ERASED, but it is close. A Silent Voice was a better movie is almost every way. Your Name was not terrible overall, but it definitely wasn’t the best.
7. Cowboy Bebop is one of the most boring shows I have ever seen. Even I am surprised by how little patience I had for it, given the other shows I have seen and managed to get through without too much issue. I tried to watch Cowboy Bebop three aeperate times and only barely managed to slog my way through it on the third attempt. I am not going to say the show is bad, but I definitely didn’t see it as one of the best anime of all time. I doubt it would even make my top 100.