JVAnimeReviews's avatar

• Joined Oct 16, 2014

Qualidea Code

Nov 5, 2016

Positive

*What I liked in QC was mostly the animation in the earlier episodes. There A-1 showed how good they are at animating. But unfortunately the further the anime progressed, the more the quality of the animation began to decline. In the latter episodes it was clear that or the budget was getting low or they had to rush the production to have the episodes ready on time.

Unfortunately my video review was removed due to copyright.

Negative

*And unfortunately, just like with my Taboo Tattoo review, I already have to switch to negative because QC was quite the failure. Continuing on the animation: not only did the quality decline but at certain times there was censoring. Now as one of my viewers pointed out to me, censoring is mostly the fault of the broadcasters in stead of the animation studio. But it just isn’t good for the reputation of the anime and in QC, an anime where there was blood at times, the censoring was such a moodkiller. The slightly darker side of war and blood and death was one of the few positive points of this anime and censoring killed them.

*The next negative point is something that I talked about in my ReLIFE review last week. If you’re going to make arcs around side characters than you have to be careful that you don’t neglect your main character in them. It happened in ReLIFE and it also happened in QC. In the first few episodes we get loads of build up for Ichiya who is than supposed to be the main character. Everything in those first episodes was to build his character and to give him a purpose for the rest of the anime. But then after a certain event, he gets shoved aside and we start a completely new arc around Hotaru and Maihime. And when that arc was finished it was the other side characters’s turn: Asuha and Kasumi. Ichiya only returns in the final episodes where he plays some kind of role together with Canaria. If it was the meaning to give each of these duos their time to shine than they should have introduced and build them from the start. Now the cuts between Ichiya being the MC and the other arcs were way too sudden.

*If I continue about the story I have something else that I have to mention. A-1 tried to pull its master card a few times during this anime being drama. A-1 is one of my favorite studios when it comes to drama but here in QC it failed. The drama was really weak in QC mostly because it was very predictable. When certain dramatic events happened, you could clearly see that that wasn’t going to be end of that event. So when other things than get revealed later on, I wasn’t surprised, I was more like “I told you”.

*And as a final negative point I have to say how confused I was in this anime and not only by the sudden jumps between arcs. I had a lot of questions during and after seeing this anime. Like one of my major questions was the plan of putting the children into cold sleep. I fail to see why the children were put in cold sleep. Was it protect them during the war but leaving all your children at one location makes them quite vulnerable. Because how I see this is that it was more the plan that the children would fight the Unknown. I don’t think the adults ever believed that they could win. But as you can see it still such a mess in my head, I can’t put a straight line onto that.

And another big question that I had was at the end of the anime. My clear thought was “Why do they still love that character?”. I can’t say which character or what happened because of obvious spoiler reasons but also that was unclear and to me it didn’t make sense and it just added to the confusion that I felt when I watched QC.

Conclusion

So as a conclusion, even A-1 sometimes screws up. This was way below the standards that I am used to from them. The animation, the story, the drama, the character development was far away from the normal, good A-1 anime’s. And that’s why I’m going to rate Qualidea Code at 2 stars. I expected way more from this anime and I hope that A-1 will pick themselves up again this season because this was a let down.

4.8/10 overall

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

InnocentWish Oct 1, 2017

Not sure if you're trolling but have you even seen the source of how this anime was made? It was from a three-person unit of writers who wrote three different novels. The anime is an adaptation of those three novels. Granted I am only good enough to read from a wikipedia article, but I'm sure you as a reviewer would be able to source deeper.
It's a compilation of three different novels in the same universe, hence the different point of views from what you term as "main character". In the first place, what is wrong with having the story alternate between characters? The concept of having just one "main protagonist" or "main character" itself could be considered popular, but why not think it that this anime just tried something different? There are shows who focus on a group of chracters, this isn't the first of last of its kind.
They tried something different, and only had 12 episodes to do it. Of course some animation may have been only decent, while the plot armour being quite strong. You've seen your fair share of anime, just because you could guess it doesn't mean everyone will. Be fair to the people reading this review, sure you have the right to have your opinion, but aren't you reviewing this for others to base their intent to watch? They may be new to anime or veterans who've seen and watched tons of shows, at least let them see this anime instead of shutting it immediately.
Granted, this anime may have tried to reach for the sun and fell hard. It may not be everyone's 5/5 star anime, but I'm fairly sure this 2 star rating isn't really giving it much justice.