Hotaru16's avatar

• Joined Sep 21, 2016
  • ? / F

Devils' Line

Jan 7, 2019

Devil's Line had been in my "to watch" queue ever since it aired. I finally got around to watching it this weekend and enjoyed it so much, I ended up marathoning it. I am surprised at the amount of negative comments I've read concerning this anime. This is an anime that is based on a 13 volume dark fantasy manga that was completed in December 2018.

In some ways it reminded me strongly of Tokyo Ghoul and slightly of Anjin, not that this is a bad thing in my opinion as I enjoyed both of those for various reasons. But again we have a different species of creature, that if chooses can sublimate humans, living parallel with and blending in with them. Toss in the expected fear and distrust that Humans would naturally have toward others stronger than and different to them, and well, you see where this is going. Despite these similarites, I do think this brings some uniqueness and charm of it's own. The strongest, being the way that main Vampire Yuki is handled and his character is fleshed out.

I think most people have trouble getting past the first episode but I think if you hang in there for an episode or two more, you'll find that the story keeps improving and really picks up momentum. I actually enjoyed it from episode one but there was a definite shifting of plot and gears after the first few episodes.

I found the characters fascinating and really thought the character building for Yuki Anzai especially good. I'm not into spoiling so I won't go into too much detail, but I could really empathize with his internal struggle. I was rooting for him the entire series. The ending was realistic and solidly done for a 12 episode series.

As I find that I would really like to learn more about the characters and what happens after the end of the anime, I will be reading the manga and hoping that they give this a second season, I'm sure there is great potential for this to be even better than season one. There is so much more I want to learn about many of the charactes and what they come from.

To sum up, found this to be quick moving, novel enough to watch and it left me wanting more. I can't believe I haven't heard more about this entertaining, thoroughly engrossing anime. I wish I hadn't waited so long to watch it, but I am very glad I did.