HoneyHam's avatar

HoneyHam

• Joined Oct 4, 2014
  • 24

I decided to pick up this up as my chill anime for the season. But unfortunately, Banished from the Hero's Party ended up being more than I bargained for. Following Red- real name Gideon- after he is banished from his sister's adventuring party, he decides to settle down in the small town of Zoltan. When Rit- princess of Duchy Loggervia- arrives in town, she quickly nestles herself into Red's life, helping establish and run his apothecary. As the Hero's party's path starts to intertwine with his, things don't quite add up with the events leading to his banishment. Will Red and Rit be able to continue their quiet lives, or does the Demon Lord have other plans?

For me, this anime would have been significantly better if there was less plot. I loved the tender moments that Rit and Red shared while they were getting the apothecary and their home set up. The issues that arose were minor, and helped integrate them into the town. Additionally, the depiction of the romance between the two was believable and refreshing. They were not shy about the way they felt for one another, and their confidence helped solidify their strength as a couple. It began to lose my attention when it started to flash between the Hero's party and Rit, Red, and their apothecary. The plot points seemed too big for the slow pace of the first third; they took themselves far too seriously. I knew that Red needed to reunite with his sister eventually, but I wish it was done in a different way. Perhaps Red could have contacted his sister, explained the situation to her properly, and ended off with the pair coming to respect each other's decision. And as a big theme of this anime was the idea of "the individual despite their Gift", it was weird that it wasn't followed more with respect to Red and the life he chose. The last half of the end episode was nice, but I wish the same pace was kept up throughout the season.

Overall, Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside was just okay. Nothing special, but nothing terrible either.