Herohades's avatar

Herohades

• Joined Jun 9, 2018

Clannad

Nov 3, 2019

One of the biggest tragedies of our current generation is how this show is perceived amongst the community. Because although Clannad certainly has its moments of sheer depression, there are also times of happiness, and joy, and so many other emotions that make the entire affair worth it.

Clannad tells the story of Tomoyo Okazaki, a high school senior with no motivation in life, who lives just to get through the day. That is, until he meets a girl, named Nagisa Furukawa, and suddenly finds his life a whole lot more interesting than it once was. And also way more supernatural than one would think from the outset.

Which is by far the strong point of Clannad. The characters all feel so real, so well developed, and ultimately so likeable. From the obnoxious but well meaning Sunohara, to the obnoxious but maybe not completely evil Kyou, to the shy and often over-looked Ryou, to the self-assured Tomoya. Watching these characters interact, and live is just such an amazing trip, full of good times, bad times, and in-between times.

The easiest way to summarize my thoughts on this show is like this; I first watched this show nearly six years ago. And through all of the time, I still remember the full names of all the characters, something I can't say the same about for shows I have watched this past year alone. Because that's just how Clannad is. It sticks with you, partially because it breaks your heart into small pieces, but also partially because it will make you smile like only a depiction of life truly can.