Gozza's avatar

• Auckland, New Zealand
  • Joined Mar 14, 2018

Shiki

Mar 19, 2019

Most horror shows and movies tend to focus on a small cast in a very small setting but Shiki managed to impress me the most with its approach on using an entire town in its storytelling. It is pretty crazy to see all these pretty unique characters interacting with each other and how their interactions change as the story progresses.

I will admit that the funky hair threw me off at the beginning but I do understand that it helps to recognize characters among this very large cast while also using it as a way to show an extra layer of emotions.

The core of the story is put together extremely well but there are a few small inconsistencies when it comes to how our characters experience and deal with the transformation into a Shiki but I'm sure many people will give that a pass. I would have liked to see some some of the characters express a bit more emotion when they lose a loved one or when they are put in an uncomfortable situation.

Shiki does a lot of things extremely well and I really wish there were more shows out there that would attempt to take on this scale of storytelling.