Franconator's avatar

• Your mom's giant robot
  • Joined Jul 28, 2018

Just Because!

Sep 16, 2018

Just Because, for all its intents and purposes, is just nice. Nicely-animated, nicely-voiced, nicely-scored, and maybe nicely-done – but that’s only if we’re talking about the first half. The series gets off to a strong start, where all of the pieces to the love puzzle are set in just the right way. The problem is, things don’t start happening until the midway point – and once they do, they get stalled by the most inconvenient problems, so the pay-off isn’t nearly worth it in the end. For a friend group connected via LINE, the characters here sure suck when it comes to actually communicating. Was this some kind of statement about the way online communication’s affected everyone’s ability to talk face-to-face? In Just Because, people get by with casting meaningful stares at each other and storming off in an angry huff when the other party doesn’t understand what they’re trying to say. And then they still get so surprised by all the miscommunication that happens as a result.

By the time the series really begins to hit its stride, you’ll already have a good idea of who’s going to end up with whom. Unfortunately, it’s also at this point the series chooses to slow itself down and wallow in unnecessary conflicts for drama’s sake. The result: you get the ending you may have expected from the beginning, but none of the fulfillment you were hoping for.

This could be blamed on the sudden romantic wrinkles the show tried to force on you, but the bigger problem is in the way none of the characters really get developed by the time the series ends. They may have become different people from when we first saw them, but because they don’t really work for what they want after their initial motivations get revealed, they remain stagnant after that first burst of development. Meanwhile, the story seems content with going through the motions as far as romance is concerned, as if it thought that simply willing the desired ending into existence was enough to make us care. Most of the time, feelings blossom out of nowhere and we’re supposed to accept the things that happen just… well, you know, just because. A lot of the problems that happen here could have been solved if the characters just sat down with each other and talked. Talking’s a thing that happens here for sure, but for some reason, the people who really need to do this with each other never get around to it, even when it’s already too late. It’s such a waste too, since this looked like it was going to be a different kind of romance series compared to the other titles in its genre. Instead, it got so caught up in many of the usual genre trope tangles, that it ended up stumbling on its way to the finish line.

Moonphase Jun 12, 2019

I completely agree with your review,  I started watching it and very nearly dropped it halfway through the series,  if it wasn't for Komiya and her quirkyness then I probably would have dropped it.