ForeignMemory's avatar

ForeignMemory

• Canada
  • Joined Sep 8, 2021
  • 17 / Other

(This review has no spoilers)

TLDR: The animation and sound design is decent for today's standards, but I highly recommend giving it a watch for at least the first episodes, since Bunny Girl Senpai's short arcs and the main three characters are really interesting.

If you like arc-to-arc animes that stay short but interesting, you will definitely like this anime.

To get it out of the way, the animation and the sound design is pretty much what you'd expect from a quality anime these days. It's not too memorable, but it plays greatly with the mood and the situations. The story is also very compelling to me, since it always keeps itself shorts. (The anime is 13 episodes long, so each arc is about 3 episodes.)

Where I see others differ in opinions is with the characters. The biggest problem is that some characters are really less interesting, so when they have their own arc it can seem bland. However, I think it does not ruin the experience, since the 3 most seen characters are absolutely well done.

Firstly, the protagonist, Sakuta, is very endearing and surprisingly down-to-earth and kind, which is very refreshing among the more popular hot-headed men protagonists in mainstream animes. Plus, it's very easy to sympathize or empathize with him, because his writting makes him very honest to the audience. Really, he's a good character to have the anime's main point of view.

Secondly, Mai is also a pretty well rounded character. Of course, it's mostly her chemistry with Sakuta that makes her lovable, but we also get to know her with her first arc and half of a later one. Without spoiling too much, by the end of her arc, she feels incredibly real whenever she's on the screen after her main events. (And she kept being relevant to the story, which I really appreciated while watching.)

Lastly, I find Kaede to be WAY more interesting than I initally thought. Her arc is the most powerful one by far, and I especially love how the writters didn't victim-blame her, which happens frequently with her kind of situation in media. She can be pretty annoying with her too clingy little-sister attitude at first, but the moment I understood what was happening, I had no more complaints.

Overall, the animation and the sound design was decent, but Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai's arc-to-arc story and its most seen characters are very interesting. I really recommend giving it a watch for at least the first 3 episodes (Mai's bunny girl arc)