Ebonyslayer's avatar

• Joined Feb 13, 2016

Bone Collection

Jul 8, 2020

My thoughts up to the 10th chapter:

Characters- As a shounen series I feel like the series is having a hard time figuring out what it wants to do. It introduces a powerful character named Paira, who is there to be fanservice and to help power up the main protagonist. Speaking of which, Kazami feels just like the series description says he is, a mediocre character who is nothing without a youkai to help him power up.

Story- As for the story, there is the plot-line of Kazami turning Paira from Youkai to human, where the reward would be the protagonist being able to marry Paira. You know what this makes me think of? Rumiko's Urusei Yatsura, except that series has more lovable characters. There are just so many attempts to be funny, and the author just fails at it.

When it tries to be a battle shounen, its just not feeling like one that makes sense. Kazami's motivations as an exorcist are all over the place, be it for becoming the best exorcist, to protect others, or because of his promise to Paira. Unless the author has properly established the protagonist's motivations, readers won't be able to like or connect with Kazami.

Art- The art doesn't really feel that great. It feels like the author wasn't given a lot of time to give detail to the characters and the result is what is left at the end. It feels average, which is no surprise given this is the author's first work.

Overall- The series is not shaping up to be impressive, even after revealing that there is a Youkai island prison. And now the protagonists feel less special, now that its revealed that there are other characters who can use the Youkai spell. After ten weeks of being in shounen Jump, the series is just about near the bottom. https://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/

I would hope that the author has at least picked up some experience given this is their first work. https://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=44911 I don't feel excited reading this, which is why I'm not going to bother continuing pass the 10 chapter point.

Series I would recommend would be Shaman King and Twin Star Exorcist.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or