DonAlba's avatar

DonAlba

• EEUU
  • Joined Jul 9, 2015
  • 20 / Other

Our main character, Wakaba, is reborn as a spider. She is born into The Great Elroe Labyrinth, a continent-sized dungeon where magical beasts slaughter and maw at each other constantly simply for the sake of survival. The novel depicts our little spider's hardships' hurdles, and her triumphs.

Regarding the characters, they are independent. Honestly, I am confused as to how other reviews do not understand that our MC's upbringing (literally) defines how she perceives and interacts with others. From the moment she was reborn, she had no one but herself. And thus, often, we find our Wakaba talking and depending on herself。

So the instance where we see her interact with a foreign body, obviously, she would not care too much about them. For a seemingly endless amount of days, she spent alone and simply trying to survive whatever came her way. So it would make sense that it would be difficult for our Wakaba to open up to a foreign body who wasn't there when she experienced her struggle.

As for the story, the novel tells two stories at once: the story of Wakaba's reborn incarnation in the Great Elroe Labyrinth, and secondly, the story of her classmates as they spend their time in a school slice-of-life-esque genre. The former, has a lot of emotion and character, and the reader builds a relationship with Wakaba and desires more regarding her success and dispositions. As for the latter, honestly, it is bland. The characters are two-dimensional. And throughout the chapter's sequence, I often desired the classmate's utter failure and agony; however, I was always disappointed.

At some point, it was more enjoyable to simply skip the side-story chapters rather than their actual consumption.

One thing that griped me about the side story is that it's full of red herrings, making it unenjoyable.

TL;DR:
Our main character, Wakaba, is an independent spider who goes through many hardships and struggles. Though a little narcissistic, is lovable and lowkey.

Highly recommend it if you're willing to put the effort into skipping all of the side-story chapters (they're absolutely garbage and insignificant--I found that they end and converge at around Volume 6,l and it's smooth sailing from then onwards).